In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What do you guys use to...

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
square your reticles to your actions on your rifles? I have a crude reticle alignment tool, but it still leaves a lot to guess work. Most of those cheap bubble level tools are worthless. What do you bench rest guys use to align your reticles?

I asked this on the experts forum, there's no way that a collimator can do this, is there.?.? I've had two people tell that they can...but I don't understand how.?.?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, if I gotta use a level than I use a $90 Starrett right angle jobbie (the "expensive" starrett's run about $900 for a 12" level).

Normally I back away from the eyepiece and make sure the vertical post is aligned with the barrel/bore center line. By eye I'm normally within 1/4 deg of true.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Tailgunner1954
    Well, if I gotta use a level than I use a $90 Starrett right angle jobbie (the "expensive" starrett's run about $900 for a 12" level).

Normally I back away from the eyepiece and make sure the vertical post is aligned with the barrel/bore center line. By eye I'm normally within 1/4 deg of true.

Do you have a link to what you are talking about.?.? I'm usually pretty good by eye too, but I'd like a tool to rule out any errors on my end. Does that "right angle jobbie" just level the rifle, or does it level the scope as well??? Thanks!
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Eric
    Starrett number 134
    http://www.starrett.com/download/338_p439_444.pdf (look on page 5 of 6)
    Perhaps Dongizmo would be able to locate one (his store probably carries them)

Clamp the rifle in a vise (padded jaws)
    Level across the bolt ways (or at least determine the amount of error)
    Level across the top of the bottom ring (if the bolt ways were off, the error here should be the same)
    Level across the top of the elevation turret (again, any error in the bolt ways should be reflected here).

I mention the error thing, because if you can't get the action perfectly leveled, maintaining the same amount of level error will still leave your retical square/plumb with the action
  • Options
    bamaboy473bamaboy473 Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've found that snugging the rings can change the alignment even if they're tightened the same amount on each side. Most scoped rifles of mine have gotten more than one session of true plumblines. Don't know why that is...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Tailgunner1954
    Eric
    Starrett number 134
    http://www.starrett.com/download/338_p439_444.pdf (look on page 5 of 6)
    Perhaps Dongizmo would be able to locate one (his store probably carries them)

Clamp the rifle in a vise (padded jaws)
    Level across the bolt ways (or at least determine the amount of error)
    Level across the top of the bottom ring (if the bolt ways were off, the error here should be the same)
    Level across the top of the elevation turret (again, any error in the bolt ways should be reflected here).

I mention the error thing, because if you can't get the action perfectly leveled, maintaining the same amount of level error will still leave your retical square/plumb with the action

Thanks![8D]
  • Options
    mondmond Member Posts: 6,458
    edited November -1
    I simply line up ,the vert line agains a telegraph pole, & nip the scope evenly in the mounts..never fails
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A telegraph pole or side of a building you know is true. Of course, you go back to having the action as perfectly vertical/perpendicular to that as you can.
  • Options
    k_townmank_townman Member Posts: 3,588
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mond
    I simply line up ,the vert line agains a telegraph pole, & nip the scope evenly in the mounts..never fails

Telegraph pole? What century are you living in? [;)][:D]
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    "I've found that snugging the rings can change the alignment even if they're tightened the same amount on each side. ".......weaver rings are notorious for this, you have to put some 'english' on the scope before you snug the rings down.
  • Options
    chaneydchaneyd Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 3/8" rope hanging on my wall vertically & horizontally and scope it to that. Just make sure the ropes are bubbled properly on the wall.
  • Options
    greystonegreystone Member Posts: 194 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There was a post on this subject on another forum recently but I'll be darned if I can remember where. It involved using a mirror place about 10 feet away. Mounting the gun in a vise or even shouldering it you can aim at the mirror and see if the cross hairs split the muzzle right down the center. The gun doesn't have to be perfectly perpendicular for this to work. That's the way I remember it anyhow but I haven't tried it. I actually totally forgot about it until I read this post. I'm going to be mounting a new scope soon and I'll give this method a try. Dave
  • Options
    chaneydchaneyd Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow! Makes sense and is easy to do. Will have to remember that.