In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Primers in Federal 7.62x51 ammo

Recently I bought some Federal ammo (model A76251M1A 308 Win. (7.62x51mm) to shoot in my FNAR 7.62 black rifle. This cartridge has a brass case with a 168 grain match bullet. Brass head is marked "7.62x51". Federal site is at:
http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/rifle.aspx?id=809

After firing 45 rounds, I decided to deprime the empties and clean and resize them for future reloading. It appears that the Federal primer is a smaller primer (0.208" diameter) than the standard Large Rifle primer (0.212" by Winchester and others). I noticed that the primer pocket appears to have a 0.002" thick metal sleeve in it to reduce the pocket diameter. Trying to press a 0.212" primer into this pocket would crush the primer (maybe explode it). I don't think that a 0.208" primer could be used either due to the crisp edge at the mouth of the sleeve. I don't know of a way to remove this sleeve. I cannot determine if this sleeve is glued or soldered in place, or what. Apparently, Federal does not want anyone to reload this brass. What gives here? Should I just chunk this brass, or what?

Thanks,
John [?]

Comments

• Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your looking at a crimp ring (where the primer was crimped in), and the proper answer/cure is to run them over a primer pocket swadging tool.
    If you don't have such a thing, you can try cutting it out with a CM chamfering tool or even a pocket knife (it's only the outer corner that needs to be beveled/cut
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I agree with tailgunner. What you are seeing is the crimp ring.
    You need to swage or ream them out.
  • Jake SullyJake Sully Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the giggles.
    Crimped brass takes about 4 seconds to ream with a deburring tool.
    But if you are new to them they will give you headaches and diahrrea.

Jake
  • CryptoChiefCryptoChief Member Posts: 100 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    johnnyboy1948,

Invest in the swage. It will save you time and also wear and tear on your fingers and hands (cramps unless you are using an electric deburring set up). Also, the swage will insure uniformity of the primer pocket opening, moreso than a deburring tool. I've used both methods. Swaging is the way to go.

Cheers,

CC