In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1x fired 223 brass

is it normal to need to trim once fired brass? i ordered 1000 lc cases from wideners a while ago and had to trim them. and i just got some more mixed headstamp once fired casings and im needing to trim them all back as well. my books say the case overall legnth should be between 1.750in and 1.760in. most all of these are measureing around 1.763+. so im going ahead and rimming them to halfway at 1.755in. yet cases ive fired through my ar that were factory new have very little change in OAL. whats going on with this??

Comments

• Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by joshmb1982
    is it normal to need to trim once fired brass? i ordered 1000 lc cases from wideners a while ago and had to trim them. and i just got some more mixed headstamp once fired casings and im needing to trim them all back as well. my books say the case overall legnth should be between 1.750in and 1.760in. most all of these are measureing around 1.763+. so im going ahead and rimming them to halfway at 1.755in. yet cases ive fired through my ar that were factory new have very little change in OAL. whats going on with this??

Yes, it's quite normal for once fired brass to be at or past the outer limit! The majority of the brass probably won't stretch much during the next firing, unless the gun has a max head-space or a hot load is fired! I usually trim ALL calibers of once fired brass .005 less than the minimum, for example 1.745 for 223 brass and I can normally fire the brass more times before requiring a 2nd trimming! (If crimping the bullets I make sure ALL the brass is trimmed to the almost exact same length) I keep a heads up on how many times the brass requires trimming, because after trimmed 3 times the brass is stretched to the point of thinning at the web base and the rim seprating from the hull! If this happens don't panic, because usually instead of using a hull extractor you can usually use a bore brush and remove the case from the chamber! (use a bore brush the size of the rifle chamber and when inserted just slightly twist the brush in the direction that it will tighten to the ram-rod while pull bac)

Good luck to Ya!
    Your AR may have a minimum head-space, but I've seen some brass stretch to more than max in some guns even when the head-spacing was minimum! (some manufacturers brass is softer also)
  • Options
    joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
    edited November -1
    good to know thnks much.
  • Options
    skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also trim to minimum, gives the most firings before you have to trim again. Then I keep the brass segregated according to head stamp and firings.
  • Options
    joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
    edited November -1
    ive seperated out all the brass by headstamp as wewell. most of them anyway. i didnt know there were so many makes of brass. i must have 15 different headstamps. the ones i only have a few of i put all together. all has only been fired once. so far
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Over the last 15 months I 've processed about 10K of mixed 223 brass-most of it once fired military. 99.9% needed trimming and some of it was way over length.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I got 2000 pieces of IMI 223 brass, and have to trim them. For once fired, some need it and some are OK.
    I use a case length guage for mine.
  • Options
    CHEVELLE427CHEVELLE427 Member Posts: 6,750
    edited November -1
    my first time with 223 i think i trimmed till i saw them in my sleep, but then again i picked up 3000 of them ,
    Lucky i had an auto trimmer with a 3 way cutter, it saved me weeks if work,[;)]

it would trim and i would swage primmer pockets.
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When working up a accuracy load or a hunting load I separate the brass by weight also, usually with-in 2 grains in weight!
    Military brass is usually heavier in weight.
    I've seen groups at 100 yards increase by 2-3 inchs if the same load is TESTED in mixed up non weight matched brass! The increase in group size may be because the heavier brass has less interior volume and if same grains load of power is used, the velocity may be higher and therefore the deviation and consistency from shot to shot varies with the mixed up weight brass! For hunting brass I separate the brass by weight and don't pay much attention to the Brass manufacturer! I also uniform ASLL of my brass primer hole internally!

I also use a permanent marks a lot type colored felt tip pens and I can color code the heads of my match weight brass (reloaded shells) as to how many times it's been reloaded. For example Black=1, Red=2, Green=3, etc. I usually only neck size for bolt action type guns and label the brass as for use with that ONE particular serial number gun!
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    Very normal. I have seen once fired 223 that measured 1.770.
  • Options
    MR 8x57jsMR 8x57js Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The heavier Mil Spec brass IE WCC,LC has less interior volume then the commerical brass IE WW,RP and if same grains load of powder is used, the velocity may be higher and therefore the deviation and consistency from shot to shot varies with the mixed up brass! I separate my brass by either Mil Spec or Comerical. The headstamps can fool you, IE LC is the MIL Spec for Federal. Blackhills brass is Winchester Mil Spec brass. A word to the wise if you have a pet load that you worked up to in Commerical brass,then you switch to Mil Spec Brass, work the load up again watching for signs of high pressure.Also the max load in the mil spec brass should a full grain less then what it was in the commerical brass