In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Large Rifle Magnum primers

TexraidTexraid Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
Is there any disadvantage or advantage; pros or cons using magnum primers in non-magnum loads? i.e. 30-06, 8x57mm, etc.

Comments

• Options
    wolleywolley Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you're loading accuracy ammo then they are a disadvantage.
    If not then just back off charges about .5g for large cases, a little more for the smaller cases like 308 winchester.
    In my experience they are only needed in the large magnums that use slow burning powder and in some loads using double base (ball) powders.
    If they are all you can find then they're fine to use. Just not as accurate as regular primers. You'll never notice the accuracy difference unless shooting for groups from the bench. Wolf Magnums are not any hotter than regular so disregard the .5g back off.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Igniting some stiff charges of slow or ball powders could benifit from a mag primer. Sometimes the load will just perform better with a mag primer. The lowest ES and SD I've seen when chronographing loads have used mag primers.

Most benchrest shooters also use mag primers.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If that's all you have it is fine but don't substitute mag for standard w/o retesting. I use CCI Milspec #34 in most ammo I load for Mauser action rifles due to an unpleasant primer perforation incident a couple of years ago. I got a heck of a buy on 5000 last year because they were slow movers. These are magnum strength primers and I begin with starting loads and work up to approximately equal velocity as regular primers. Usually a grain or two of powder below the standard primers.
  • Options
    TexraidTexraid Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info.
    I have a few thousand magnum, benchrest, and standard primers and was trying to decide which to try first. I'm loading (30-06) Sierra 150gr spitzer & 125gr match kings. Think I'll go with the standard first.
  • Options
    MR 8x57jsMR 8x57js Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    In MHO they are only needed in the large magnums IE 7MM REM, 8MM REM and on up that use large amounts of slow burning powder IE IMR-4350 7828. Some sources say they should be used when using double base (ball) powders. I can say ive used Ball powders in my .223,.308 & 7.62x39 with complete burn and very tight groups with standard rifle primers.
  • Options
    joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
    edited November -1
    does the same hold true for magnum small pistol primers? just back off a .5gr from normal load? i picked up a box of cci small pistol mag primers as that was all i could find around here.
  • Options
    mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use them in my 270 to light H4831 when I hunt elk in the snow and it's really cold.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I've read that the magnum primers will perform better even in non-magnum calibers.