In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

stiff bolt - different brass

joesjoes Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
I have a 223 wssm with an after market Douglas barrel. I am loading brass cases for this rifle with different lots of brass. I am full length sizing all the cases ( have even went 3/4 turn beyond making contact with the shell holder). The problem is, some of the cases allow the bolt to close without any resistance while others need force to close the bolt. I have measured each case and they all are under the 1.66 trim lenght. The cases are all Winchester head stamp. Does anyone have any ideas??? Thank you, Joe.

Comments

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    probably fired in a different rifle, f.l. dies don't bring cases back to 'factory new' size, you may need a 'smallbase die'.
  • Options
    joesjoes Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes some of the brass was fired in another rifle ( used brass). If I fire the cases in my chamber will that reform to my chamber on the next loading? Thank you.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Is it possible the neck are thicker on some of the brass and need to be reamed
  • Options
    csteinhcsteinh Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Will a resized, empty case chamber easily?

How large in diameter is the neck of a loaded round as compared to a resized case?

Do you have a "donut" somewhere in the neck area prior to the shoulder?

What type of rifle are you working with? Small base dies are not needed most of the time (you still might need them).

You might consider buying a cartridge gauge so you can measure the correctness of the cartridge before you try to shoot it.

Depending on the reason for the extra force required to close the bolt, it may be a dangerous condition to fire the cases that don't chamber easily. You need to determine why before you go on. Otherwise, disassemble the cartridges and throw the brass away.
  • Options
    zimmdenzimmden Member Posts: 237 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    With a caliper measure neck diameter of a case that chambers easily and measure neck of case that chambers hard. If they are the same, measure case 1/4 inch above the head. If the hard chambering case is .001 to .002 larger, you probably need small base die. If the neck is larger on the hard closing case, the brass is too thick and will need neck turning. The Douglas barrel may have a tighter chamber than normal specs. Check these conditions before shooting cartridges that chamber hard. With a ball micrometer check neck brass thickness.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    joes,

It's case 'spring-back'. You need to anneal. These cases are extremely thick and the heat created on the shoulder-neck area means annealing should be done at least every 4-5 shots. I load for the 25 WSSM and have the same problem.

The latest thing I've done to help save brass with it is going with a Wilson neck sizing die. And, I'm about 2 gr. under max with my latest load using RE-17.
  • Options
    skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will second what Sandwarrior said. I bought a head space gauge just for the reason you are talking about. I was really bearing the shell holder hard against the die just to get .001-.002 back on the shoulder. After annealing, the shoulder would get set back .007. Cases do spring back if too hard.

It was a 25 WSSM as well.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    SLIGHT resistance on chambering is a good thing. It means your rounds are sized to JUST fit your chamber (like in neck sizing). However if it is more than you can handle with just 2 fingers in operating the bolt- certainly if you have to hit it- something is up. I'd check neck thickness first.