In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

RCBS dies. What does TC mean?

idahoduckeridahoducker Member Posts: 740 ✭✭
On the label it says "3-DIE STEEL TC SET .30 CARBINE". Does TC mean taper crimp?

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tungsten Carbide

The .30 Carbine case is thick and tapered, it will still size easier with a little case lube.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    Tungsten Carbide

The .30 Carbine case is thick and tapered, it will still size easier with a little case lube.

I originally thought that too but this is a green box (carbide boxes are gray) and in place of Steel on the label they say Carb.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by idahoducker
    quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    Tungsten Carbide

I originally thought that too but this is a green box (carbide boxes are gray) and in place of Steel on the label they say Carb.

It could be old stock, all of my RCBS die boxes are green, even the carbide ones.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    My carbine carbide dies are in a green box also. The only grey box I have are for 308 match dies.

EDIT: I just looked at a box on another site, and I think they are carbide taper crimp dies. There is a box there with the same wording as yours. If the number is 18010, that's what they are.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I intended to buy these dies at Cabela's today so I don't think they're old. When I saw the "TC" with no explanation available at the store I decided to go back home and find out. Even RCBS's site doesn't seem to say anything except that both the steel and the carbide dies that they list have TC in the description. I think it means taper crimp. I'll call them in the morning.
    https://shop.rcbs.com/WebConnect/MainServlet?storeId=webconnect&catalogId=webconnect&langId=en_US&screenlabel=index&action=CategoryDisplay&categoryId=C09J044N143&route=C09J044
  • Options
    shooteroneshooterone Member Posts: 139 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    TC is taper crimp. RC is roll crimp.
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shooterone
    TC is taper crimp. RC is roll crimp.

All of my RCBS taper crimp dies have the full word taper crimp stamped on top of the die. The boxes are green with pink labels that say "Taper crip seater die X caliber". However, I have not purchased a new taper crimp die in 10 years. I love these dies. Never had a bullet slip back since I have used them.