In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

SHOT Show Shummary

Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,202 ✭✭✭✭
Here's a quickie summary of my SHOT Show observations. I concentrated mostly on reloading, not guns or optics. In no particular order, here we go:

Lyman will offer an economical new lead melter called the "Big Dipper" for about $40 retail. Their all-new 4th edition of the Cast Bullet Manual will be out by summer.

Barnes will offer a 50-gr TSX bullet designed specifically for 1-14" twist at 22-250 speeds.

Winchester will offer a new lead-free rimfire round and a .410 self-defense load that contains three copper "sluglets" plus a charge of large shot.

Hornady has finally perfected their power case trim and prep station. It features power trim, shaving collection, plus power chamfer (inside and outside), primer pocket cleaning, flashhole deburr and more. They will also offer a one-piece powder dispenser and scale with simplified controls; also on tap is an ultrasonic brass/parts/jewelry cleaner with large capacity.

Browning will introduce an X-Bolt Micro Hunter as a well as stainless/carbon fiber versions of the full-size X-Bolt. The A-Bolt will continue in production as well.

ATK/Federal will introduce a lead-free 16-grain 17 HMR round, a Lead-free Short-Range 22 rimfire round at 1600 fps and a TNT Green bullet as loaded ammo only and component bullets to come. Primer production has been increased to help meet demand.

RCBS has packaged a die cleaning kit of aerosols and also offers a chronograph that stores the screens inside the chronograph body for easy transport; retail price about $150.

Alliant confirms their recent announcement of a series of spherical propellants (made at the St Marks facility in Florida) with the Varmint powder due in June. They also will introduce a blackpowder substitute called Black Dot.

Nosler will join the lead-free parade with a copper-matrix core version of their Ballistic Tip. Regular lead-core bullets will continue at full production.

Redding will offer a Versa-Pak reloading kit that will allow customers to pick the press they prefer.

Forster introduced a 3-in-1 cutter head that trims, inside and outside chamfers simultaneously. Their popular Co-Ax press now comes with either short or long handles and has an increased window opening to handle rounds as long as the STW or UltraMag cartridges.

Hodgdon has introduced the cultishly popular IMR8208XBR powder for benchrest and varmint-sized rounds. It is not exactly the same as the long-vanished surplus powders known by that number, but does duplicate its performance with modern powder technology benefits as well.

CVA announced their first-ever centerfire rifles, offering the Scout for small-stature shooters as well as the full-size Apex. Both are single-shot break-action rifles chambered in 243 through 35 Whelen. (Scout in 243 only for now.)
I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the heads up to us that could not attend[^]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    And I forgot to say: If you recall the special run of 44 Special Flattop Rugers from last year, Lipseys for 2010 will be offering it again, but in BISLEY configuration!

Saw one, held one. Ordered one on the spot. Stay tuned!
  • Options
    gunprofitgunprofit Member Posts: 157 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I heard somewhere that Ruger is offering a limited edition Flattop in 41 mag. So that means that they have producted a 357 Flattop, a 44 Special Flattop, and 41 Mag Flattop. Did I miss anything? They didn't offer a 45 Long Colt did they?
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Thank you for the update, I'm in the market foe a new chronogroph, I'll look into the RCBS.
    W.D.
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello, Rocky. No hint from RCBS about the rumor of a new auto powder measure/scale combo?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes, the lady rep did admit that they are in fact working on a third-generation powder dispenser/scale. But it won't be ready very soon. I couldn't get an estimate other than "it's in development."

The chronograph is too cutesy for my blood. It is designed to look like a giant cartridge. It's a brassy-colored tube about four inches in diameter with a "bullet" head that contains the readout and controls. The "case" holds the light shields and rods plus wires for storage. I told the rep that very few men would show up at a range with it because it just looks too corny. She was astounded, and said it was cute. I just looked at her and she said, "Oh!"
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you, Rocky. Good to hear. From the sounds of it a gal must have designed the Chrony. I am in agreement with you. Unless of course they come out with the high luster nickel finish![:D]
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good to read about products besides the endless parade of militaryoid rifles, shot pistols, and tackytickle scopes.

RCBS was showing that cartridge shaped chronograph many months ago, maybe as long as SHOT 2009, then it dropped out of their advertising. Maybe it took them until this year for whoever is molding the housing to get it looking cute.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rocky,

Shummary? What kind of shot show did you go to down there in Vegas?[:D]

Seriously, Thanks for the updates. Anything new from Berger or Hornady?
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab
    Yes, the lady rep did admit that they are in fact working on a third-generation powder dispenser/scale. But it won't be ready very soon. I couldn't get an estimate other than "it's in development."

The chronograph is too cutesy for my blood. It is designed to look like a giant cartridge. It's a brassy-colored tube about four inches in diameter with a "bullet" head that contains the readout and controls. The "case" holds the light shields and rods plus wires for storage. I told the rep that very few men would show up at a range with it because it just looks too corny. She was astounded, and said it was cute. I just looked at her and she said, "Oh!"

That's probably why the 1500 combos are going relatively inexpensively.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey, it was Vegas!

(But I wrote "Shummary" in a fit of alliteration, not intoxication.)

Berger's biggest intro is a .338 VLD for 1,000-yard targets. They're working on an affordable varmint bullet, but it's not ready yet.

Hornady has an armload of new reloading tools. There's a clever concentricity gauge that actually corrects misalignment of a loaded round, a new digital powder dispenser that's smaller and simpler but has selectable feed speeds, and a perfected version of their power trim tool with many extra powered stations for primer ream, clean, chamfer and flash-hole deburring. They also showed an ultrasonic liquid cleaning machine that holds a lot of brass, or gun parts - or jewelry. I'll be getting review samples of the powder and trim tools.