In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

been gone too long

oldemagicsoldemagics Member Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭
from reloading and now have to do some catch-up
first off, my last loads were around 1985. then kids/work pretty much put an end to doing much shooting
now trying to get competitive again and hit with the ammo prices i dug out the press and started searching for loads...
any current fairly clean powders that could work for .38,.40&.45?
the .45 is a carry gun and a fair amount of range work
the .40s are carry as well as U.S.P.S.A. shoots, so power is a consideration to stay major
the .38 is mainly bullseye shoots
years back i only had/loaded for the .38 and .357 and ran bullseye powder with nice results (in fact if it isnt bad, i still have about 1/2#)

Comments

• Options
    csteinhcsteinh Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I still use Bullseye for .38 and .45. I don't own a .40 so I can't say what powder works well for it (I suspect Bullseye is a good choice). Other powders that work well are Hodgdon TiteGroup and Winchester WST.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    picked up hogdons re-loading anual, and i see several that cross the three, but was checking to see if there was any general preference among the guys here
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    haven't reloaded since my brother died in 2003.

That said, I still have a lot of the reloads we made.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Everything you did then is still valid today. Unique and bullseye are still great go-to powders for a broad spectrum of calibers. Tite-Group, a rather new powder to the scene is proving itself to me, I like it a lot, low charge weights, very clean burning and inexpensive too boot.

Grab a new reloading manual and get back to the bench, pulling the handle!

ENJOY!!!!! [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    titegroup, autocomp and universal were the ones i saw listed for a lot of the pistol loads
    a few guys at the last match were making big claims for clays, but the burn rate for that has me a bit skeptical

trying to find a single inexpensive powder cause i am going crazy being laid off since Jul and need ammo to get out of the house for a while... and make a match for a change!
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I've shot Bullseye in my 45s for years, standard load is 5grs. You can step it up a little for carry loads. I shoot 200gr bullets for everything. For bullseye shooting in my K-38 Masterpiece I use 3.4grs Win 231 with a 146gr wadcutter. For the 40 Smith I load 5.2gr Win 231 under a 155gr Rn or Hollow Point.
    Hope this helps.
    W.D.