In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

once fired brass

270man270man Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
I am new to reloading..so new i have not reloaded a single bullet yet! My question is about once fired brass. I have read the abc's of reloading as suggested by this forum and i am currently reading lymans 49th. Lymans 49th states to never use once fired brass from an unknown source(page 47)? I would like some opinions on this as it seems only once fired brass is available at the present time? Thanks for your time.

Comments

• 270man270man Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Has anyone ever bought once fired brass from Midway?
    edited November -1
    Was looking to buy some 357 1X brass to reload. What I found was that used brass cost almost as much as new. I'm I missing something here. I may have figured something wrong but with this pistol ammo I don't see a big cost savings over store bought stuff. I know I can shoot holes in paper with 38's sight in & practice. I would like to use the 357 to practice also.
    edited November -1
    I recently aquired some once fired brass in 257 wtrby mag and full lenghth resized but it will not chamber in my rifle.I did not trim brass so maybe this is the problem.However it chambers fine in a different rifle I own so it has puzzled me.Both are vanguards,one being a back country and the other a standard vanguard.The back country will not chamber the full lenghth resized brass.Any suggestions?
  • guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Could be the length or it could be that the shoulder needs to be bumped back just a little bit more for that rifle.
  • zimmdenzimmden Member Posts: 237 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Different guns, different chamber dimensions. Even though the guns of a given caliber meet SAAMI specs so they will shoot factory ammo, once fired brass takes the size and shape of the chamber it is fired in. The slight variations in different chambers ( even .001 to .002 )will not allow some fired brass to fit. Thus the need to full length resize to restore brass to original factory specs. After several firings and resizings the brass stretches and must be trimmed back to SAAMI specs. Weatherby Mag cartridges seem much more prone to this since they are headspaced on the belt so the brass stretches forward at the shoulder and neck. Cartridges that are fired only in one gun do not have to resized nearly as often. Annealed case also last longer because they are softer and spring back better.
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you have a case fired from the rifle to compare against the newly resized brass?