In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Way too much powder?????????

I found some old .44 Mag reloads that I did in the mid to late 70's. I ALWAYS write the load info somewhere, but this time I only have, 12.5gr of Unique Powder. All the info I read now calls for around 7-8grains of Unique. I gave my model 29 to my Son for a college graduation gift, and no longer reload .44 mag. Did Unique change that much in the last 35-40 years? I truly can't believe that I would have over charged that much powder. I used a current Sierra Manual back then. I think I'll hold off giving these to my Son. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends on the bullet weight. With the lighter jacketed bullets I've seen a maximum of up to 13 grs listed. Are these 180 gr jacketed bullets?
  • Options
    partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    They are 225grain cast SWC w/gaschecks.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, the current (49th) Lyman Manual shows a 210GC bullet with a max of 13.2 Unique (1221 fps) and a plain-base 240 SWC with a max of 11.7 Unique (1133 fps). So you might be right at absolute maximum with the load you describe. But it depends on brass, crimp, primer choice and exact bullet design to a degree.

Suffice it to say they're more than I'd want to touch off. Unique can get quirky and show pressure spikes at high charge levels.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    fast powders (pistol) can get you into real trouble, real fast. Pull em and dump em.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the expert info. I will pull them today!
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Smart move, always err on the side of caution regaurding something like this. Lets you sleep much better.[:)][:)]
    W.D.
  • Options
    264fan264fan Member Posts: 81 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just had the same problem with old reloads so I decided to pull the bullets. Bullets came out fine but the gas checks stayed in the case, [another reason to use plain base bullets].Let us know how it works for you.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just pulled one to see if the gascheck stayed. These were loaded so many years ago that I assumed I had used a gascheck. These bullets have a jacket, not a gas check. I'm getting old. I guess not being able to remember if I used a gascheck or not 35 years ago isn't complete dementia. I weighed the bullet at 240gr. There was only 12 of them, so pulling the other 11 won't be too tough. Thanks to all!!!!!!
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good thing, too. A load that's maximum with a cast bullet is likely to be far over max with a jacketed one. Copper doesn't slide as easily down a bore as lead.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.