In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Want a more durable single stage

I have a Lee Classic and the 50BMG presses. Obviously, I use the Classic much more. After roughly 25K rounds, the linkage is starting to show some age. I have a crack that I've been nursing for a while. FL resizing has been getting done on the 50 press with the bushings because of it. I am thinking a Rockchucker Supreme as it seemingly has a beefier linkage. Issues? Dies should fit fine. Shellholders? Are they the same?

RULES-
I don't do prgressives (yet) The more I read about them, the more I don't like 1) the expense 2) the PITA to change calibers and 3) the frustration that goes along with set-up.

Comments

• Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Shellholders should be the same, yes. I'd call lee though. They will send you a new linkage free if 2 years old or less and pretty cheap even if older. I'd rather spend $10 or $15 on a part every 25k rounds than several hundred ever.

I also far prefer the larger foot with 3 mounting bolts over the Rockchucker's 2.

Otherwise (and I do have both) I think they're about equal.

Another option might be something from Hornady or Lyman. They have very nice presses too and if you go with a Hornady you get some free bullets.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    never go wrong with a rockchucker.
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It would probably be a good idea to take your press apart and lube all joints as well as the ram with a good grease, especially since you load so much. I'm surprised presses don't have lube ports
    A progressive press should save you serious time.
    Over the last few days, I tried out my used Rockchucker 2 and like it. I stole it at auction for $15 which included case trimmer and stand.
    However,my also used Lyman American progressive is more convenient.
    I used to have a lineup of single stage C-presses but now relegate the light Lee C-presses to priming and charging.
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it's worked well enough for you to get that many rounds out of it, I'd send it back to Lee. For about 10 bucks they'll fix it and you'll get another 25k rounds, saving the money you'd spend on the other press for primers, powder etc...
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Another Vote for Forster (Used to be Bonanza) They have a buncha Unique Features. Mine has run for over 30 years.
  • Options
    codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Riomouse911
    If it's worked well enough for you to get that many rounds out of it, I'd send it back to Lee. For about 10 bucks they'll fix it and you'll get another 25k rounds, saving the money you'd spend on the other press for primers, powder etc...

This is exactly what I don't want to do. I'd sooner spend the cash now and really never have to worry about it again.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by v35
    It would probably be a good idea to take your press apart and lube all joints as well as the ram with a good grease, especially since you load so much. I'm surprised presses don't have lube ports
    A progressive press should save you serious time.
    Over the last few days, I tried out my used Rockchucker 2 and like it. I stole it at auction for $15 which included case trimmer and stand.
    However,my also used Lyman American progressive is more convenient.
    I used to have a lineup of single stage C-presses but now relegate the light Lee C-presses to priming and charging.

The Lee is an "O" press (perhaps I got the model wrong) Either way, I lube everything often-generally how I clean everything up. It really it just a matter of overuse for the duty that the press linkage can handle.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jonk
    Shellholders should be the same, yes. I'd call lee though. They will send you a new linkage free if 2 years old or less and pretty cheap even if older. I'd rather spend $10 or $15 on a part every 25k rounds than several hundred ever.

I also far prefer the larger foot with 3 mounting bolts over the Rockchucker's 2.

Otherwise (and I do have both) I think they're about equal.

Another option might be something from Hornady or Lyman. They have very nice presses too and if you go with a Hornady you get some free bullets.

Plan is to remove the linkage and redesign a beefier package once a replacement press is installed. Then I will relegate it to use for my son and his 30-06 addiction.
  • Options
    csteinhcsteinh Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know you said you wanted a single stage but ... I have a wonderfully stout single stage press that I never use. I lent it to a friend because it was collecting dust in the garage.

My recommendation is a Dillon 550. I use mine as a progressive most of the time but it is easy to use as a single stage when I want to use it that way. I load pistol calibers and my .223 in progressive mode and load all other rifle calibers in single stage mode. Caliber changes are easy with separate die plates. Even changing primer sizes is not that difficult. Dillon's customer service is significantly above the norm. The only negative is initial cost. If you look for a used one, you can reduce that.
  • Options
    264fan264fan Member Posts: 81 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bought my Rockchucker in the early 70'S still working fine. I do pistol round on 2 Lee progressives. I would recomend a dry lube for your press, the compound used in primers is abbrasive, if you use grease you soon have something akin to lapping compound lubricating the ram and linkages.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I actually use a slightly heavier than machine oil spray (Zep 75 or something) to clean and lube.

I don't do progressives. Yet. Price is nuts and detracts from the economy of reloading. And the frustration detracts from the relaxation. In the 2 hours it takes to get a second caliber set up and running I could make 200 or 300 rounds of whatever I'm cooking up.

While I generally have primed stuff ready to go, a test some while back proved I could do about a hundred an hour coming out of the tumbler. Faster if the young'n is pushing pills for me.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HandLoad
    Another Vote for Forster (Used to be Bonanza) They have a buncha Unique Features. Mine has run for over 30 years.

Do all the dies interchange? How about the shell holders? I went to the site and looked-wow-pricey. Nearly 4 bills for a single stage is alot of cake. Explains why there is NO used market to be found, or my Google-fu is very weak today.

Thanks for the e-mail by the way.
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by codenamepaul
    quote:Originally posted by HandLoad

Do all the dies interchange? How about the shell holders? I went to the site and looked-wow-pricey. Nearly 4 bills for a single stage is alot of cake. Explains why there is NO used market to be found, or my Google-fu is very weak today.

Thanks for the e-mail by the way.

Any dies can be used. The dies are held in a slot, they remove easy you set them once and forget about it. Want to do one case? Easy as pie, just slide the die out and slide the new one in.

Shell holders are standard shell holders. Or, you can use the universal shell holder, I think they cost a little bit extra. If you want to prime with the press, you will need the shell holders as the primer is in a different location. But I am sure you already have all the shell holders.

The press is a beast, there isn't a used market because anyone that buys one isn't getting rid of it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Universal Shellholder - well kinda - the one that comes with the press does most all, but if you have extra big or extra small, you will have to buy an optional bit or two.

I got mine from the estate sale of an Old Friend, way back when I was Young. It was New, in the Box. It is Branded "Bonanza" - Forster bought them up.

I am a Devotee. To me, it has some of the benefits of a Progressive, with minimal parts count. It is Strong, without being just Anvil Heavy.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Lookee here: G.B. Auction# 155262294
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,801 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    never go wrong with a rockchucker.

+1, mine is 35 yrs old and still good as new.
  • Options
    SkeedaddySkeedaddy Member Posts: 95 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with JustC--RCBS Rockchucker can't be beat for single-stage! Heavy duty w/ lifetime warranty.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by codenamepaul

I don't do progressives. Yet.A Dillon 550 can be used as a single stage Price is nutsOnly 4 more Lee presses and you'll have paid for one Dillon and detracts from the economy of reloading. And the frustration detracts from the relaxation. In the 2 hours it takes to get a second caliber set up and runningIf it takes you 2 hours to pull 2 pins, replace them, set your powder measure, and find some brass I could make 200 or 300 rounds of whatever I'm cooking up.Not on a single stage, but on a 550, you could load 1200

While I generally have primed stuff ready to go, a test some while back proved I could do about a hundred an hour coming out of the tumbler. Faster if the young'n is pushing pills for me.

You really want a 550 from Dillon: when yer done cryin' over the initial hit your wallet took, you will find that things are actually easier to do. You change calibers by pulling 2 pins and changing the dieplate. If there's a different shellholder, it comes with the conversion kit, or you might have one lying around.
    If there really is a Pain in any area, it's the primer filler tubes; I just dump a box of primers in a flip tray and shuffle till they're all facing the same direction and gently push the tube over each one.
    The benefits are real and if anything breaks, rolls under the carpet and gets lost, or you don't understand or remember how to do any part of the process, a call to Dillon will have you up and running before the dreaded 2-hour die change is over!
    The best part is the VOLUME; no more fretting if you'll have enough ammo for that Gunsite class, no more entire Saturdays wasted sizing/decapping, then repriming, then measuring powder like it was fairy dust, then finally seating, then adding crimp, inspecting to see if it truly does have a primer, etc.
    Face it: if the Rifle Teams that shoot the Palma use Dillon gear; why torture yourself with antiquated technology?
  • Options
    grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm still using my 50+ year old Pacific single stage. Grandpa used it, Pop used it, and it was what I learned on. It still works great!