In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hodgdon Ball-C?

D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
Could I use this powder in 30-30,308win,7.62x39 and 7.62x54r?

Comments

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,196 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you mean the ORIGINAL Ball-C surplus powder, or the re-manufactured canister powder Ball-C2? They are different.

There are tested loads in several manuals using the C2 stuff in all but the 7.62x39, I think. (It is likely a bit slow for that one.)

There is nothing wrong with Ball-C2, except that it is an old-style spherical powder that leaves a very stubborn fouling behind. If you have a bunch of it, use it.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1
    quote:Rocky Raab Posted - 01/28/2010 : 3:22:23 PM Do you mean the ORIGINAL Ball-C surplus powder, or the re-manufactured canister powder Ball-C2? They are different.

There are tested loads in several manuals using the C2 stuff in all but the 7.62x39, I think. (It is likely a bit slow for that one.)

There is nothing wrong with Ball-C2, except that it is an old-style spherical powder that leaves a very stubborn fouling behind. If you have a bunch of it, use it.

Yes I meant blc2. Thanks I might find something else to use then.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Great stuff in the 308. Not really great in the others...30-30 might work ok though.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,196 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look closely at Ramshot TAC. It's a spherical that is VERY clean-burning, usually costs less than other powders, and gives very good performance in the three larger rounds. For the "x39" you need a faster powder. Accurate 1680 was designed for it, so powders like LilGun, 4198, RL-7 and Ramshot X-Terminator will work well.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    7.62x39...AA1680 is the powder to use. Works great in AK and SKS.
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BL-C2 is all I use for loading 223.