In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

30-30 Data Needed

SkeedaddySkeedaddy Member Posts: 95 ✭✭
I am reloading 150 gr. SP 30-30's with Win. 748 powder. My question is: Do I need to use magnum primers with this powder? Speer Manual no. 13 shows magnum primers for this load (only powder listed for 30-30 to use magnum primers)--however, my Winchester Reloading Guide (2006) shows this bullet loaded with 34.5 gr. of 748 using Winchester LR primers. Any information, as always, is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    20gabob20gabob Member Posts: 232 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used a lot of ball powders including win 748 and have never used anything but win large rifle primers. If i were to be hunting in weather around 0 degrees all the time i might think about using magnun primers. In other words my answer is no!!!!
  • Options
    laylandadlaylandad Member Posts: 961 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Skee,

I have used the Speer data without fail for about 6 years now. I use CCI 250 primers with every load that they were recommended for and have had excellent results. I think that the ballisticians that wrote the data book did their homework. Always work up from the starting loads and you will be fine.
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,777 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 20gabob
    I have used a lot of ball powders including win 748 and have never used anything but win large rifle primers. If i were to be hunting in weather around 0 degrees all the time i might think about using magnun primers. In other words my answer is no!!!!

+1, I have never used magnum primers with the 30-30. I normally use 748 & BLC2 powder.
  • Options
    idahoduckeridahoducker Member Posts: 740 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    While regular primers might work just fine you may get better results using mags. I've wondered before if sometimes the mag primer is listed not because it's necessary but because it gave the best results.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some labs have an in-house rule to use magnum primers will all ball/spherical powders, regardless. Speer is one such lab.

It is probably unnecessary with cartridges under 50 grains of water capacity, for use above freezing temps, and/or for modern spherical powders.

The earlier sphericals (H335, BLC-2, H380, etc) were heavily deterrent-coated. Today's (W748, TAC, A2230, etc) use other methods to control burning rate - with the side benefit of being MUCH cleaner burning!

However, Winchester primers are specifically crafted to work with ball powders. Their WLR is as hot as many other maker's magnums. Only for extreme conditions would you need their WLRM - and the .30-30 is not among those conditions.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    SkeedaddySkeedaddy Member Posts: 95 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good info--thanks to all. My takeaway is that Speer labs typically call for mag primers with all ball powder, and WLR is as hot as most mag primers. I think I will load 20 with mag primers, and 20 with WLR--and see which ones my '57 mod. 94 prefers (sweet). I can't believe all this good information is free! [;)]Thanks again.
  • Options
    machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    I think Rocky Raab is on the money. I reload the 30-30 more than any other centerfire because I shoot the cartridge a lot, and I use standard Winchester LR primers with all powders. I use 748, 4064, and 3031, at temperatures which range down to 0 degrees F. For hunting applications, I don't think there is a significant difference with ignition. I shoot from snowshoes, and as I don't think anybody much shoots benchrest at 0 degrees, any differences there could be, are probably moot.