In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

triple shock x bullet

inkball25inkball25 Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
anyone have trouble getting accuracy out of the Barnes triple shock X?? i've tried them in several of my rifles but cant seem to get anything to group! Only in the old 222 mag did i get under an inch. I cant seem to find the right seating depth for the swift or the 25 06

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    inkball25,

Have you read the recommendations on the TSX bullets that Barnes provides on their website? Have you read their load data section on their website?

If yes, did you do a progressive (ladder) load work up or did you just select some loads and go shoot? Give us some indication of your process so we can help you here.

Best.
  • Options
    idahoduckeridahoducker Member Posts: 740 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got an old .257 Roberts and a new 7-08 both under 1" with TSXs. 7 Mag is next. I like 'em.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have followed their info on the Barnes website using what they say is the most accurate powder and i worked up the loads .5 grain increments with crappy results on all.. i think i have then seated to far out but the swift has a long throat to the lands.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    inkball25,

Barnes bullets, of their nature, do not perform well when seated into or just on the lands. They seem to performs better when seated at least 0.050" off of the lands per Barnes suggestion. I've even had some not show signs of accuracy until they were 0.080" to 0.100" off the lands.

There are far too many other contributing factors that have not been covered either.

Are any of the rifles even capable of being accurate with other bullets/loads? Are you the shooter capable of such accuracy? I'm not trying to be mean or disrespectful at all. Some folks are just not cut out to shoot little tiny groups. On the other hand, if the chambers aren't concentric and the ammunition you load is not concentric, you may never see any improvement in your groups.

There are literally dozens of factors that contribute to accuracy in shooting bolt action rifles. But I have never seen "...several of my rifles but cant seem to get anything to group!"

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by inkball25
    I have followed their info on the Barnes website using what they say is the most accurate powder and i worked up the loads .5 grain increments with crappy results on all.. i think i have then seated to far out but the swift has a long throat to the lands.

The "most accurate" powder on the website was the most accurate in the barrel they were testing with. Your rifle just might like something else.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ive been bench rest shooting since the early 1990's and handloading for accuracy from the start and yes the shooter is capable of shooting sub .25 inch groups with of course the right set up... of course the couple of rifles in question are probably not capable of that with any loads. i probably only have maybe $1500 in each of the rifles in question. But both rigs will shoot 1 inch or under with sierras and close to 1 inch with most premium factory loads. as far as myself as a shooter i probably wont win a national competition but I shoot a Rem 40x in 7mm08 and it or I shoot .25 inch at 100 yds even with crappy factory ammo. All rifles have leupold vari 3 optics they might not be the best but for my budget they work fine.. all of the brass is specific to the rifles they are neck sized and not fl sized flash holes uniformed primer pockets cleaned all charges weighed. I use a redding competition seating die. Now for the "several of my rifles but cant seem to get anything to group"! comment... The2 main rifles in question.... #1 is a Reming 2506 with a 26 inch stainless steel barrel with a H&S precision stock I also installed a Jewell competition trigger set at right at 2lbs of pull with no creep of overtravel. I the rifle was manufactured in or around 1994 and has approx 660 rounds through it according to my records on that rifle. #2 rifle is a Ruger m77 220swift it was glass bedded by a very recomended gunsmith in my area also a Shillen trigger was installed. The ruger barrel is not the best, manufactured in 1990. I think Ruger contracted out their barrels to the lowest bidder in the early 1990,s but after some work i had it shooting 3/4 inch and on a good day 1/2 groups at 100 yds 5 shot groups.. giving several minutes to cool between shots due to heat of course.. using nosler BT and sierra 52gr match and 55 gr hpbt.. I due know the rucer has a deep throat and heavier longer projectiles do a little better in this rifle. Again thanks for the info I do know that I haven't seated the bullets any more than .040" off the lands so thats a good place to start.. I am not looking for 1/2 inch groups but 3 and 4 inch groups is just not acceptable for even a cheap factory rifle for varmit hunting or off the bench. Also I use a wichata stand and proctor sand filled bags off the bench. bore cleaning after each group. Just looking to see if anyone had trouble with the barnes triple shock bullet. Thanks Tom
  • Options
    edited November -1
    sorry for all the typos i didnt proof read until after i posted :)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    inkball25,

That's the type of response that helps us get a handle on proper suggestions. Without that information we end up playing 20 questions and never really find a way to help. Thanks for making the effort!

The original Barnes bullets were a bear to get to shoot especially since Barnes didn't provide much information to help and they were more expensive than the traditional cup/core bullets we were used to shooting. The 'Blue-Meanies' didn't last long but they were decidedly better. I have found that the TSX bullets are better than any of the others from Barnes. However, they can be problematic due to the reduce bearing surface on the bullet shank. For the most part, the reduced contact is a good thing because fouling is curtailed. But it can cause some accuracy problems in some barrels. Which ones? Your guess is as good as mine. We have to shoot and test.

The Ruger barrel would be the least of my worries since I don't cotton to Ruger much at all. The older barrels stink but made the grade for Ruger since they were cheap and Ruger doesn't do anything in-house that isn't cheap. Switch to a standard bullet it likes and go shoot some targets.

The Remington 25-06 has no excuse that I actually state except for maybe a worn throat and some fouling build up just in front of it. If you have access to a borescope it might be worthwhile to take a peek. The only other thing I can suggest is to skim bed the H-S stock aluminum block to eliminate the possibility of stress. I have had several 25-06s shoot the Barnes TSX with good accuracy down to a little short barreled .250 Savage Improved which was extremely accurate with the 100 gr. TSX.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info.. I will still tinker with the swift using the Barnes 3x just for the fact that i might use it for some smaller whitetail in a open bean field. I like the all copper bullet due to the fact that it will hold together at the swifts vel. But i need atleast 1" to 1.5" to feel comfortable at a longer distance. Not the ideal cartridge but still fun in a hunting situation. Thanks again ...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    oh by the way i saw you mentioned the old 250 savage loving the 100 gr triple x.. I just grabbed a 700 mountain rifle in 257 roberts. I know it has a pencil thin barrel but the 100gr triple X would be a heck of a hunting round for the old Bob... gotta love the quarter bores!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My 722 in 257 Roberts and the 100 grain TSX get along well with Ramshot Hunter powder.