In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Light .45 loads

rstbkt69rstbkt69 Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
I loaded up some .45 last night with 4.0 gr of WST. 230 gr FMJ. I wanted the wife to shoot the .45 and she is recoil sensative. It wouldn't cycle the Ruger P345 enough to feed another round and didn't always eject the brass. Now the Winchester website suggested 4.1 gr as Minimum but I always start lower than the recommend to see how it does. Anyway I bumped the charge up to 4.1 gr to see how it will shoot. Anyone else use WST for light loads?

Comments

• Options
    csteinhcsteinh Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use 4.2 gr WST with a 200 gr LSWC all of the time. It works well. I also like Bullseye ahd Tite-Group for light loads.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello recoil impulse is what works almost all semi auto pistols. This along with how rigid the person shooting the pistol is . A short 220 pound weight lifter will function the same pistol with the same load that will not come close to functioning with a lightly built female that may limp wrist a pistol. There are some Bulls-Eye shooters use 200 grain lead bullets with as little as 3.2 grains of bulls-eye powder. . What to do I suggest you get a Wilson recoil spring kit and a reduced mainspring All from Brownells The reduced mainspring will let the hammer being cocked by the moving slide be easier and the recoil spring kit will let you reduce the strength of the recoil spring to function with a lighter load. some Bulls-eye shooters use a spring as light as 11 pounds on their light loads. Be aware if you keep the light weight springs and go back to heavy loads you will beat up the pistol and cause wear or damage. Match the spring to the load. "PRAISE THE HARD-BALL GUN"
  • Options
    rstbkt69rstbkt69 Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I performed the same with me shooting it as well. I had thought about a spring kit but thought against it because I will shoot the gun way more than her. I just need enough time behnd the trigger for her to feel comfortable in a HD situation. She sai she needed a lighter gun. I almost made it to the gunstore before she realized what was going on and told me not today. LOL Almost made it.
  • Options
    leadfordeadleadfordead Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use 5 gr of Unique with 230 gr lead for target and fun. Cycles good in 1911.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    You can change the spring out in less then one minute start out with light spring and light load and then work your way up . That is why Wilson made the kit it has a number of springs after you shoot the light load with light spring both of you will fell more comfortable with the pistol and then the next time you load you may chose to load light or heavier ones.