In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Arbor Press - Lee Loaders

roundoakroundoak Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
I am tired of pounding my Lee Loaders with a rawhide mallet. I am aware of arbor presses such as K & M, Sinclair and etc., but I was wondering if there is a cheap alternative?

Comments

• Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep, use the LEE loader dies for duck decoy anchors, and buy a LEE "hand press" and a set of regular type dies.
    Once you get tired of the hand exercise, than it's a simple step up to a real reloading press (and all the dies for the "hand press" will work in a standard press also)
  • Options
    Mort4570Mort4570 Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    why jury-rig it and get even more frustrated?
    sell the Lee..there is a market for them..and buy a real set f dies and their hand press,or better yet a challenger press
    Or,step all the way up to a cast pess and never have to buy again unless you want to go progressive or the like.
    what caliber handloader do you have? I need a 45colt set.
  • Options
    airmungairmung Member Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Keep the Lee Loader in your firearms bugout box for backup and check out gunshops/gunshows/auctions for a good used cast iron press. It is next to impossible to wear one out. Any major brand will be good, although RCBS is likely the most common. You will never look back.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am tired of pounding my Lee Loaders with a rawhide mallet. I am aware of arbor presses such as K & M, Sinclair and etc., but I was wondering if there is a cheap alternative?

First, welcome to the Forum.
    The arbor type presses you've seen are great for bullet seating and likely for neck sizing as well. They aren't (I'm almost certain, though I've never tried.) up to the task that you're performing with the rawhide mallet and the Lee dies, that is, full length sizing.
    If you need to full length size, then definately, you need to get a press that will handle the standard dies. If you want to use the Lee bullet seater with something similar to the Sinclair arbor presses, it should be any easy matter to rig up a pivoting lever arrangement made of almost anything from mild steel to heavy maple.