In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

308 cetme brass ??????

i have a cetme in 308 , it is rough on brass, sometimes more then other's.

I'm asking about the lines it leaves on the brass, some are just light colored but others are formed into the case and you can feel them with your finger.

the ones with a grooved line in them, are they still usable or would the lines make it hard to seal and let gases pass by.

some i have asked said there fine but others say don't use them.

would like a little more info on this before i toss the brass.

Comments

• dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Everybody I know tosses them. The gas system in those rifles is what causes the dents in the brass.
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The design of the HK91 is what causes the brass to be screwed up. As DCS said, throw them in the scrap bin.
  • CHEVELLE427CHEVELLE427 Member Posts: 6,750
    edited November -1
    read on another form to stick with mil brass commercials brass is thinner and scars up worse then mil spec,

i have noticed some lake city stuff does not have much to no damage just fed , rem,and win brass has the worst scaring.

think the ones i can feel will get tossed to the brass bucket, plus brass here is going for $1.85 pound,[:p]
  • billingham420billingham420 Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Cetme's I fired 45 years ago had fluted chambers, supposedly to ease extraction. That's likely what causes the lines or grooves on the brass. Also, the Cetme round itself was a downloaded 7.62x51/.308. Somewhat of a "blooper" 308, in other words. While I don't (much) doubt the strength of the weapon to handle modern, full-strength .308 ammo, I do not recall any significant "grooving" with the old Cetme ammo I shot in the 60's.

If handloading, I would consider: a) download significantly, and b)stick with the thicker military (LC) brass, and trash the rest after one firing.
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Having an HK-91, the flutes I see weren't a major problem, it is the huge dent you get from the ejection port.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rsnyder55
    Having an HK-91, the flutes I see weren't a major problem, it is the huge dent you get from the ejection port.

this one seems to only give a bad dent sometimes, will have to watch it to see if there is a pattern of when the dent comes and the flutes are bad,
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why not just FL size 'em, reload 'em, and fire 'em? Sure, they'll be ugly, but so what.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ambrose
    Why not just FL size 'em, reload 'em, and fire 'em? Sure, they'll be ugly, but so what.

i do but not the ones with bad lines you can feel with your finger. as for ugly most of mine come out shiny and most you cant see any lines except around the neck
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ambrose

With the magnitude of the dent in my circumstances, I'm concerned about the decrease in case capacity and its affect on pressures. Or should this not be a concern.
  • rudyjrudyj Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Chevelle, I have a cetme also. I noticed the same stripes on the brass.I took it apart looking for the problem. When I took the bolt out, way up in the chamber it was full of hard carbon. You had to have a flashlight to see it. Anyway I had a stiff brush with a long handle and got it cleaned out. After that the brass wasn't near as bad. It would be re loadable no problem.You might check that out .