In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.220 Swift Ammo

DeBoerDeBoer Member Posts: 62 ✭✭
Hello I used to reload all of my 220 swift ammo but recently sold my equipment and what i found with the swift was that is was most accurate with a flat base bullet. I am wondering if anyone knows of a manufacturer that sells swift shells with a flat base bullet or possibly someone that knows of a company with the most accurate ammo for the swift since i don't reload anymore. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DeBoer,

The Hornady 60 gr. HP is a flat base. If you have a 1-12" twist in your rifle you can stabilize them. At Swift speed you may be able to stabilize them even at 1-14" twist. It's worth a box to find out.

Edit:

If those won't stabilize then the 50 gr. V-max's are very close to being a flat base. A pretty small chamfer is what their boat-tail amounts to. The 55's aren't much different. The 60 gr. V-max's have the deep boat-tail.
  • Options
    DeBoerDeBoer Member Posts: 62 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info much appreciated
  • Options
    4400signmanidaho4400signmanidaho Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    hey there what type 220 swift rifle do you have ?
    I have an older ruger model 7
    i am just beginning to reload and could use some advice...
    thanks
    timthesignman@msn.com
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,207 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here are two bits of advice; offered free and almost worth it, LOL!

Rather than load it to absolute maximum, load it to match the .22-250. You match the performance but at lower pressures that save brass and your barrel.

Pick up a jug of Reloder 15. Superb in the Swift.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    bentley47bentley47 Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good advice to load it down some. The Swift seems to tolerate that better than some. Saves on throat errosion and extends brass life. With 52-53 gr bullets, 4064 is easy to guesstimate velocity; 36 gr. equals about 3600fps, 37=3700, etc. in an old Douglas barrelled Mark X.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    3900's is where best accuracy is found with 50-55gr, no need to max it out.
  • Options
    stevecreastevecrea Member Posts: 486 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As far as ammo, I would try the Hunting Shack (thehuntingshack.com).

I have gotten good accuracy results with their ammo in .223 and 25-06, and their prices are quite reasonable compared to most retail prices. Cabela's sells some of their ammo, but it is priced higher in Cabela's.

They offer a 55 grain soft point at 3725 fps, and various Hornady V-max loads and Sierra Blitzking loads. I know that many, of not most of the V-maxes and Blitzkings are boattails, but take a look at their selection and give them a call on their 800 number if interested. They can give you more details about the manufacturer and design of each bullet that is offered.