In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Dual purpose bullet

I'm going to be reloading a 7mm Rem Mag. These loads will be used for mule deer and elk. Possibly an ocassional moose and black bear. I've been thinking of loading the Hornady 162 grain SST. What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Nosler Partitioned and you will not be sorry.
  • Options
    laylandadlaylandad Member Posts: 961 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I second the Nosler Partition. If you want a polymer tipped bullet, go with the Accubond, Interbond, or Swift Scirroco.
  • Options
    k_townmank_townman Member Posts: 3,588
    edited November -1
    I've been using Hornady since Moses was a pup. What's wrong with the SST?
  • Options
    Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hard to beat a Nosler Partition when you get to the larger game.

That being said, they are spendy and I know where you coming from. I personally would choose the 154 or 162 gr. SP over the SST, only because of the Moose/black bear. I trust it to penetrate and hold up a little better myself.

Jon
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    k_townman,

There is nothing wrong with the SST bullets. It's just that a lot of us get used to the performance of certain brands or types of bullets and see no reason to change.

I, on the other hand, love to test and shoot all the various designs and brands of bullets, powders, cases and other components just for the experience and keeping a database.

Here is a good article on the SST:

http://www.ardesa.com/articulos/00011_t.pdf

As with any shot fired at game, placement is critical and will determine bullet performance.

Best.
  • Options
    bperdue21bperdue21 Member Posts: 1,457 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I picked some SST's up yesterday to try out in my .300 win mag. I wanted the performance as this is going to be my long range hunting rig.
  • Options
    skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think your bullet choice is excellent, I use SST's in both 270 WSM and several 25's(257 Roberts and 25 WSSM).

People get too carried away with "premium bullets". If you do your part the 162gr SST will do its part.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    k_townman,

The SST is a good choice. I've seen a number of deer killed with them and I've watched the expansion on jackrabbits with a 154 gr. SST on jackrabbits fired from a 7 Rem Mag.(overkill to say the very least,). So I know they work.

Something you may or may not be interested in is the Nosler Accubonds. Much less expensive than the Partitions, and I feel do the same or better job. They are also more ballisticly efficient and therefore easier to plan for a longer shot if you have to make one. However, as you noted you're shooting a 7mm Rem mag, that shouldn't be an issue. Just my take is that they are better for long range.

As I've said before, (and it doesn't make it right, only that it happened) I've killed most of my deer with 85 gr and 87 gr. Sierra and Hornady Spitzers (.243 and .257) and the one elk I killed was with a 100 gr. .257. Bullet placement is the single most important factor. Followed by terminal performance and then velocity. Others would say I have it all wrong. In the case of the light bullets I used they exploded inside the ribcage causing instant incapacitation. No hit to the chest then follow a blood trail. They just dropped. Using a bullet whose terminal performance is designed to stay together and have the front expand still tends to have the bullet exit with one, sometimes large wound channel. A good hit will be mortal. It's just that I've not seen them take animals as clean as I like. The BT's on the other hand do what my light bullets do. Except, they have a tougher jacket. IMO, the SST is like this. It's the best way I've seen it work. Other folk's won't agree.
  • Options
    stevecreastevecrea Member Posts: 486 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I expect that the 162 SST is an excellent choice for the 7mm Rem Mag and your choice of targets. However, my first reaction is that you are asking the bullet to cover a lot of territory. Deer and black bear are not that big and tough, while a big elk or moose at long range is a bit of a different story. But, as has been pointed out, bullet placement is the most important factor, and this bullet will do the job for you.

I shoot a 7mm Weatherby Magnum for larger game, and have had superb results on elk bulls with 160 Nosler Partitions at 314 yards and 525 yards. While I have been extremely pleased with this bullet, it is not the only way to go, but I know that it works. However, I am willing to accept that the SST may very well be better for deer and black bear.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,801 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nosler Partition 160 grain. I've used it on deer and elk and it works. I've used the 154 SST in a hot 7x57 load and it failed the penetration test. The 154 is a deer bullet and no more so ,unless the 162 is a whole lot different from the 154, it is not comparable to the Partition.
  • Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you like the 162 gr SST (BC .550), you might also want to consider the 162 gr A-Max (BC .625) and Berger 180 gr VLD (BC .659).

As noted above, the NABs are excellent choice, i.e., 160 gr NAB (BC .531).

Good luck!

Ed
  • Options
    stevecreastevecrea Member Posts: 486 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would tend to agree with Mobuck. Again, the SSTs are superb for lighter game.

This was about 30 years ago, but I will share it with you. And, I expect that Hornady has improved its game bullets in the three decades since:

A friend and I were hunting elk, and a small herd had been spooked into us at first light, and the herd contained a spike. My friend was shooting a nice Sako in .270 Winchester, with a handload of 140 grain Hornadys, and it was a pretty hot load. It was likely what they called an SP, but was probably the predecessor to the Interock SST. My friend hit the spike twice at about 75 yards, and both shots were in the shoulder/boiler room area, but the young bull continued to motor, and did not slow down much. I hit him with my 7mm Weatherby, loaded with 160 grain Nosler Partitions, and he went down as if sledged.

Upon skinning, my friend's two shots had blown up and had come completely apart, and with almost no penetration. It was probably a bit like trying to do the deed with a virgin but without the proper steel tool. My Nosler Partition, penetrated, and it has been many years, but I believe it had fully mushroomed and we found it against the far side hide.