In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

20 gauge vs 3/4 & 7/8 12 gauge loads

Why do people shoot 3/4 or 7/8 loads out of the 12 when you could down size to the underdog 20 or is it. What are the pro's & cons of both. I have both gauges. I love them both. You pick one and why. I have my opioning what's yours. any 20 gauge lovers out there?

Comments

• Options
    264fan264fan Member Posts: 81 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never tried 3/4 in a 12 but my wife shoots 3/4 in her 20 all the time as I shoot 7/8 in my 12. Greatly reduces fatigue if you shoot a lot daily. Both reduced loads seem to be about as effective as the normal 7/8 in 20 and 1 oz in 12.
    And my favorite is the 28 ga. does a fine job on quail and pheasant.
  • Options
    264fan264fan Member Posts: 81 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Couple more things to consider.
    Not everyone can afford multiple guages and the equipment to reload them.
    Light loads are better for really light guns or old classics that would not otherwise be enjoyed.
  • Options
    CLAYSHOOTER21CLAYSHOOTER21 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    IN MY OPINION IF YOU ARE GOING TO SHOOT LIGHTER LOADS OUT OF THE 12 THEN SELL IT AND BUY A 20. I SEE SOME PEOPLE ARE WORRIED ABOUT THE KICK OF THE SHOTGUN, YOU CAN TAKE THIS PART OUT OF YOUR GAME BY JUST MOVING DOWN A GAUGE. SHOOTING THESE LIGHT LOADS IN A 12 IN THE WINTER TIME IS USELESS, ALL IT DOES IS DIRTY UP YOUR GUN. NOT TO MENTION THE LOADS LOSE ALOT AS IN PRESSURE AND VELOCITY. SAVE YOUR TIME AND HEADACHE AND BUY THE 20/28.
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another aspect to consider is the shot pattern from each gage. (20 vs 12) With a given charge of shot, the larger gage will always provide a more even and consistent pattern.
  • Options
    gcs10gcs10 Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Olympic trap is shot with 7/8 oz loads (actually 24 gram loads). When the requirement was first introduced, some shooters tried 20 gauges but most stayed with the 12 gauge. Today, you hardly see anything but a 12 gauge on the Olympic trap line.

In order to get good pattern expansion, it seems you have to push the 7/8 oz load faster than a 1 oz load. It is not uncommon to see 24 gram loads at 1325 fps whereas 1 oz loads are commonly around 1200 fps. Dropping to 24 gram loads from 1 oz loads did not change the scores achieved by good Olympic trap shooters. Consequently, 7/8 oz loads out of a 12 gauge seem to be very acceptable. I think that the smaller shot charge is deformed less in a 12 gauge than in a 20 gauge so you get fewer flyers due to deformed shot (notice I said I think; I don't have any proof).

Clay targets seem to break the same for me whether I shoot 7/8 oz or 1 oz. So, I shoot 7/8 oz, 12 gauge loads at all clay target games. I get more reloads per pound of shot, I only have 1 set of components to buy and I never change my shot shell press.
  • Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    +1 for above about pattern. I shot 20ga 7/8 oz for many years because it was the only gun I had for trap (870). When finally getting old enough to buy a 12 ga. (I was about 16 then)I found that I could reload for the same amount of $ and the patterns were better from the 12 ga. (I did actually pattern the guns with 7 1/2 at that time)

Most of the good trap shooters I know use 12 ga. 7/8 or 1 oz. loads.

And if you have only 1 gun, more different loads are available to a 12 ga.

Best of luck
  • Options
    shoottatclayshoottatclay Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shoottatclay
    Why do people shoot 3/4 or 7/8 loads out of the 12 when you could down size to the underdog 20 or is it. What are the pro's & cons of both. I have both gauges. I love them both. You pick one and why. I have my opioning what's yours. any 20 gauge lovers out there?

I shoot skeet mostly, #9 shot at around 1150 fps sometimes 1200 fps reloads 7/8 in the 20 and 1oz in the 12 going the same speeds summer or winter anything faster would be over kill or waste of powder. (money,for skeet)I've tried 7/8 loads at those speeds in the 12 winter time don't like it at all, when its gets warmer 7/8 is good. I also have shot some trap both gauges same speed above with 7/8 # 8 shot the 12 starts to shine at the 20 yd line because of the bore size. I only shoot at mostly at 16 to 20 yd line. My opion would be with a 7/8 load going 1200 fps up to 35 to 40 yds or closer all season.= 20 gauge. 7/8 load 35 yds or longer or above 1200 fps ==12
    3/4 oz load in the 12 for get it[V]
    3/4 oz load in the 20 good load[8D]=20 gauge
    to me the 7/8 load belongs to the 20 gauge
  • Options
    shoottatclayshoottatclay Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shoottatclay

I would like see more response on this subject your opinion is valued.
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    many people that own 12ga's are getting older or have been injured, and want less kick without re-tooling everything. so they stick with what works and just reduce the load to ease recoil.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When hunting i've gotten spotty patterns and wounded birds out of 12 gauge 7/8 ounce loads.
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    Theoretically you should get better patterns from the 12. The reasoning is that it will have a shorter shot column and less stringing of the shot. There should also be less deformation of the shot which is what causes patterns to break up. But even so I prefer the 20 Ga. Particularly in a down sized O/U. The last 2 years I have decoyed ducks and geese using the 20 and have given up nothing to the 12 ga.