In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

RELOADING FOR 6.5/284

CryptoChiefCryptoChief Member Posts: 100 ✭✭
Ok. I'm sure there is some info on this somewhere, but hopefully someone can give me a quick and dirty for an answer. I am starting to load for my 6.5/284. I looked at the Hornady loading and it has the max velocity for the 140 grain bullets at 2700 fps using Re22. I looked at some other reloading books and they show as much as 4 grains more powder and loads are 200 fps faster. Is hornady showing data on the low side for safety reasons or is there such a difference in bullet bearing surface between makes of bullets that would warrant their data to be so different? I'm thinking I should be able to get 2900 fps, depending on powder, with just about anything in the 140 grain bullet weight category. I am currently loading the 140 grain A-Max Moly. Thanks in advance.

CC

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    CryptoChief,

There are two distinct sets of load data for the 6.5x284 depending on whether you are using 6.5x284 Winchester data or 6.5x284 Norma load data. Whether this is Hornady's thinking or not, I'm not sure but your chamber will determine which length you should load for.

I don't shoot Moly anything any more and haven't for quite a number of years. There is a ton of load data available especially for accuracy loads and competition. These will generally run in the 2900 to 2950 FPS range for the 140 grain bullets based on huge numbers of tests. Here is some of the basic data:

http://www.6mmbr.com/sixfive284.html

My suggestion is to find the length of your chamber and determine whether you can run that load through a magazine. Then run a load ladder to establish your best accuracy/ velocity combination.

Best.
  • Options
    CryptoChiefCryptoChief Member Posts: 100 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks nononsense. The link gives some good starting points. My rifle is chambered on necked down 284 win brass so the data I'm using is for that particular set up. No problem with room in the magazine since the gun is built on a long action instead of a short action. Gunsmith reamed the neck to .299 which appears about right for a non-match hunting rifle. Loaded round neck diameter is .296 on average. That should leave enough room for Norma or Lapua brass if I choose to go that way instead of sizing 284 down to 6.5. Might take awhile to find the sweet spot, but that's why we call it load "development". Thanks again.

CC