In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Going to indoor range

cahascahas Member Posts: 4,064
I have always target shot outside, usually by myself. This is a long cold winter so im going to try an indoor pistol range to shoot the Beretta. Bought a range bag, upLULA speedloader, ammo, hearing protection and am looking at mags on the auction side. So what the heck else would come in handy to bring to the range ?

Comments

• Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Eye protection.
  • Options
    shooteroneshooterone Member Posts: 139 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Money. They charge $14 a hour at a range near my home. I only went once. Plus you have buy their target.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Owner says $10 an hour, not too bad. Was wondering about the eye protection since I wear prescriptions, a good idea nonetheless.
  • Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    As stated above, targets. And target holders/backers if they are not provided. Also a good idea to check on spent brass policy, and a small roll of duct tape.

Brass catchers are nice and a scope if you have one is helpful. If you have to go downrange to "set" your targets you may wish to consider making a double target backer to save trips and waiting for other shooters to finish.

Have fun
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check restrictions on ammo. For environmental issues, some will not allow lead bullets or bullets with any lead exposed (as in the base). That means you may have to buy their ammo.
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some do not allow aluminum cased ammo. $10.00 is cheap. 20 per hour here unless you want to share with a friend then it is 30 for both. only one friend allowed and only one shooter at a time. One shoots while other reloads.
  • Options
    PEZHEAD265PEZHEAD265 Member Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some don't allow steel core bullets.
  • Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hearing/eye protection, targets, masking tape, towel to lay handguns on, plastic/large zip lock bag to store spent cases in[;)]
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    cahas,

I know what you mean. I'm not liking the snowshoes to get to and from the 300...but it's good practice[}:)][;)]

As noted the cost of the range and the way they do business can be annoying, i.e. selling you their targets, keeping YOUR brass, etc. But, if you want to spend some time shooting and that's the only way to get it done without having to sit out in the cold, so be it.

In an indoor range hearing protection is REALLY critical. I would suggest getting some electronic earmuffs. That way you can hear and communicate with people without having to remove and replace the protection all the time. They are expensive, but if you shoot any rifle the low profile ones are worth it too. I got some inexpensive one's that aren't low profile and they work great when shooting pistol, but I can't shoot rifle with them. Just too big. Conversely, I shoot with a bunch of guys up North who wear the low profile e-muffs and have no problems. I'm constantly pulling and stuffing my triple flange rubber earplugs. Which by their manufacture is easy. It's just sometimes I get caught without one in and it's painful to the ear.

Anyhow, most indoor ranges I've been to have the cable target-trolly that you hang a target and send it out on a cable. You don't usually have to wait for other shooters. but hanging a backer behind the target helps as sometimes their heating system is blowing air around and your target is flipping around downrange.

As far as eye protection you can go expensive or inexpensive. Most Uvex safety glasses run around $10. You can get them to fit right over your prescription glasses. Then again I know guys who've spent as much as $500 on special colored prescription lens shooting glasses. Wear what will protect you. And if you need the added visual acuity given by prescription shooting glasses, then go that route. Remember it's just practice, your not trying out for the SWAT team.

-hope that helps.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Some good information, thanks fellas.
    Here is the range www.PSS-range.com