In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Where do you attach your loading press?

brotus2brotus2 Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
I am setting up my loading bench today. I am right handed. Should I bolt my press directly in front of me or off to the right. How do you guys do it?

Comments

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You'll find that somewhere near the right end is best. That allows you to do the muscle part with your right arm and have the whole rest of the bench for moving things about with your left.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I place a steel plate under the bench, bolting through the wood and steel to spread the stress over a wider area. The press is set to the right side of the work area.
  • Options
    bperdue21bperdue21 Member Posts: 1,457 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am right handed and mine is on the left side of the bench. Mainly due to space limitations.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    101_1216.jpg

I put one on either side,..one for sizing and one for seating
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For me on the right end of bench for a right handed use leaves room on the left side for off and onto the press! Don't forget to anchor the work-bench legs to the floor! A steel plate under the reloading press is also a good idea to keep the press more stable when you get hulls hung, etc!
  • Options
    glockman40swglockman40sw Member Posts: 105 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have mine mounted to the right side of me. I have found that for me I can operate more quickly during the reloading process that way. Also like Rocky said you can use your strong side during reloading.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    brotus2,

I would use a temporary clamp to try different locations and use that to help you decide. Often the size of the press, the process and space limitations dictate the placement. Examples:

dsc001672cw.jpg

dsc001695ba.jpg

benchfront.jpg

benchextreme.jpg

I have sent you a link to a huge discussion with photographs from another location.

Best.
  • Options
    skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have my single stage on a piece of hardwood that is clamped down, when I use my progressive I take off my single stage and bolt on the Progressive.
    ry%3D400

I would like to get another single stage and put it on my other bench that is more of a work bench.
    ry%3D400

I also color code my ammo cans as you can see under my work bench.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm impressed by Just C's orderliness.
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    As the others have stated part of it depends on space.

For me I like the press mounted slightly right of where I am sitting so that the arm is either in line, or just slightly right to my arm.

I have several presses set up so I can easily switch what I am loading. I also have 2 shotgun presses that get used from time to time that will mount to where my single stage press is. While I did not use a steel plate I did uses thick boards (2x6) under my bench with large washers on the bottom.

Here is a couple pics for you,

DSC06637.jpg

DSC06632.jpg