In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bullet weight vs velocity

cccoopercccooper Member Posts: 4,044 ✭✭
Caliber is .308. shooting a Model 700 w/ 26" HBAR. Synthetic glass bedded stock. With bi-pod weighs about 10lbs. Incl. scope & sling. What are your thoughts about choosing a specific bullet? Farthest target will be approx. 500 meters. Federal, Remington, Hornady,or Winchester.

Comments

• Options
    konamtbikerkonamtbiker Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What are your targets? Game, Varmit, or Paper? Alot will depend on your application. On the other hand some bullets may shoot well in your rifle others wont.

In my 308 I shoot Nosler 150 Bal tips. They shoot great and i can use them for all applications. Long range target, predator hunting, Big game.

For targets im enjoying Berger. Havent used them on big game yet.
    For Big game im a fan of bonded bullets from Nosler and Hornady.

Bullet weight VS velocity:
    I would say that all bullet ranges from 150-190 will stay more than sonic at 500m with a 1:10 twist with a 26in barrel with powder charges required to acheive fast enough muzzle velocities.
    Velocities in the 308 are slow compared to the mags. Remember velocity isnt everything.

Hope this gets you started.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Main target will be deer. Possibly people if the need arises. Longest shot at 500 meters. Most shots at 200. Haven't spent enough time on the range yet to compare different loads and bullet weights.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Depends on the twist of your rifle.

For a standard 1:10 twist, I agree, a 150 gr bullet would be about right. 500 yards, a .308 will take out a deer easily. 168 would be good too.

You ask, "What bullet?" You do realize that refers to the projectile itself, suggesting to us you are a reloader, right? I only mention it because I don't think Federal sells reloading components.

Now if you are talking loaded ammo, I'd had very good luck with the Hornady premium line on the few occasions I've shot it. For 500 yards that would be fine. For 100 though, anyone's ammo should do for minute of deer.

Also you say "for deer and people if necessary." That's a bit....disconcerning. I can't think of a reason you'd use a .308 for home defense, and shooting a person at 500 yards (or really anywhere beyond your doorstep) is sniping and rather frowned on by the law. Unless you are considering the hypothetical shtf end of the world scenario.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    168gr a-max or berger
    44.5gr Varget
    210M primer
    win brass
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by jonk
    Depends on the twist of your rifle.

For a standard 1:10 twist, I agree, a 150 gr bullet would be about right. 500 yards, a .308 will take out a deer easily. 168 would be good too.

You ask, "What bullet?" You do realize that refers to the projectile itself, suggesting to us you are a reloader, right? I only mention it because I don't think Federal sells reloading components.

Now if you are talking loaded ammo, I'd had very good luck with the Hornady premium line on the few occasions I've shot it. For 500 yards that would be fine. For 100 though, anyone's ammo should do for minute of deer.

Also you say "for deer and people if necessary." That's a bit....disconcerning. I can't think of a reason you'd use a .308 for home defense, and shooting a person at 500 yards (or really anywhere beyond your doorstep) is sniping and rather frowned on by the law. Unless you are considering the hypothetical shtf end of the world scenario.

Yes, TEOTWAWKI situation only. Haven't shot a person in years (ha)

I've had .308s in the past but these were regular hunting rifles or HK 91 semi's. Just picked up a Remington 700 .308 w/ 26" HBAR. Haven't even shot it yet. 150 gr. Hornady LMs are no loger available unless I find a dealer with some current stock. In sniper school we only shot the .308 for a short time. Used 168gr bullets then. I'll try a few different types then stock up on the best.
  • Options
    carbine100carbine100 Member Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For a factory load, Federal premium 165gr Sierra Gameking boat tail is about all I would want in a deer killer at ranges you list. Was very accurate and consistant in all of my .308's.