In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

no go guages

does anyone make a gauge for checking the shoulder on resized brass? i resized a bunch of 223 brass, checked the first handfull i did in my ar 15 to make sure they fit and then went to town. i resized and primed 100 pieces of LC brass and loaded up about 100rds of it and it appears that i messed up somewhere along the line as many of them will not chamber properly in my rifle. when i release the bolt it looks closed but wont fire and is very difficult to eject the live round. the rifle is clean and factory ammo feeds and ejects just fine. im going to go back through and redo all the cases but is there some gauge i can drop a resized case in to make sure it is correct?

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    You can buy a guage from dillon or midway. BUT, you need to get a small base sizing die for your brass. Your AR chamber might be tighter than some.
  • Options
    joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
    edited November -1
    i have a set of rcbs small base dies for the 223. i think i just didnt set the die close enough to the shell holder. i left just enough space to be able to see though and apparently that isnt enough[B)]
  • Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    Final round gage will work for brass also.

You may wish to check your crimp, if to hard it can change the shoulder a little. Brass checks good, but final round won't fit. I have been using the Lee final crimp die after loading with RCBS dies (no crimp setting)and have not had any issues when checking with my final round gage. Not that I load that much .223, only 1-2K/Yr., so I'm interested in what others have to say. Final round gages have saved me a lot of time and money, I recommend them for all calibers you reload.

Best of luck
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Josh, see if you shoved the shoulder back during bullet seating. Hold a straight edge along the case, up to a light. You might have had the seating die down too far and as the bullet seated, it crimped too much, shoving the shoulder back.

It does not take much of a shoulder hump for it to fail to chamber.