In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

reloading,flare loading

slidewaysslideways Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
first post, I have a Sedgley 10ga. flare gun of '43 vintage. 10ga. flares for it seem to be made of unobtianium. SO... I'm thinking of opening some Orion 12ga. flares and loading them into 10ga. The original 10ga. flares that I've seen pictures of, look like normal 10ga. rounds, is the nose on the Orion flare necessary? Does anyone have any loading information on/for flare rounds? Better yet, does anyone know where 10ga. flares are available?

Comments

• Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Don't know where they are available but you can buy inserts to fire 12 gauge shells out of 10 gauge bores. It's a sleeve essentially.

Ought to work for your flare pistol.
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    If you can not find a 10ga to 12ga adapter I bet any decent guy with a lathe could turn one out easily.
  • Options
    walliewallie Member Posts: 12,171
    edited November -1
    For years I have been dieing to shoot these but I did not want to break up the set. If I only knew how to reload them I would.
    As far as I got was to make an adaptor to shoot blanks. I put a set screw in so it can be adjusted to compensate for different blank heights. Then I drilled a small hole in the set screw to re-leave the pressure
    Crazy people are making the steel body one's shoot live ammo which is illegal . This one is made of aluminum.

flare123.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you, I learn something new every day... I hadn't thought about an adapter, though it sounds like those may be as rare as 10 gauge flares. I'd still like to know how and what to load in flares. Looks like the future involves some fabrication one way or the other.
    Wallie; That is a nice set, I wouldn't break it either. Is it Vietnam era?
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    The adapters aren't that rare. I googled them and found a few sights making them. I guess I wasn't clear, when I said I don't know where to get them I meant the flares themselves.
  • Options
    walliewallie Member Posts: 12,171
    edited November -1
    These are supposed to be a vest set from the Vietnam era but have no markings on the Pen. Just on the flares.
    I was always wondering how high, how bright one would be . I shopped around for some of these but had no luck. So I just shoot blanks out now and then.

flare123456.jpg

flare12345.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Looks like the more practical way is an adapter, thanks jonk - they are available online. I'll see how available locally after I let my fingers do the driving. This turned into a much easier fix than I was envisioning, THANK YOU GENTLEMEN.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wallie, when you find some let us know.
    They used to be available in gun shows and I'd pop one or two off on the 4th of July.
    A company named Penguin in Pa used to make a tear gas pen in the '60s similar to yours,
    They loaded those same aluminum cartridges in either red flares or tear gas.
    I'm saving the few I've got left.