In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

338 Win Mag and 300 Win Mag Load Data

bperdue21bperdue21 Member Posts: 1,457 ✭✭
I need the listings from the newest Hornady book if anyone has it. I generally use IMR 7828 or RL-22 but if there is a better performer list it also.

338 will be a 225gr SST and 300 will be a 180 gr SST. Thanks.

Comments

• CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I don't have the new Hornaday book, and I don't load 338, but I've loaded 300 Win mag for more than 35 years. I use my 300 Win for elk hunting, and for years I've used this load with great success. I've not tried newer powders, or different bullets because when I first started loading it, Nosler Partician was the best bullet reloaders could buy, and I've always used H4831 in my 270s, 30-06s and to some extent my 264 Win mag. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    Win LRP primer
    Nosler 180 gr partician
    75grs H4831SC
    I would start about 73gr and work up, looking for presure signs, your milage may very. My old 300 still shoots 3/4" or better at 100 yds with this load, and I've never lost an elk using it.
    W.D.
  • FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bperdue21
    I need the listings from the newest Hornady book if anyone has it. I generally use IMR 7828 or RL-22 but if there is a better performer list it also.

338 will be a 225gr SST and 300 will be a 180 gr SST. Thanks.

WM, RUM, or other? I prefer 225gr (.338 WM) and 200gr (.300WM) NABs and H1000 and H4831SC (for their more forgiving temperature sensitivity, esp. where I hunt).
  • bperdue21bperdue21 Member Posts: 1,457 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Calibers were in the subject line. I have a box of both SST's to use, so I need to see what they do before I switch to something else. I will give the 4831 a try, but why the SC over regular? I have never used the SC powders and honestly have tried to avoid them.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,971 ******
    edited November -1
    "I have never used the SC powders and honestly have tried to avoid them.".........they meter better and you can get more in the case[:D]
    edited November -1
    All the load data is the same isn't it?
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    load data is the same, just because the kernals are smaller doesn't mean they changed the burn rate (hence the 4831 designation)
    edited November -1
    Any suggestions on the original topic?
  • FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bperdue21
    Calibers were in the subject line. I have a box of both SST's to use, so I need to see what they do before I switch to something else. I will give the 4831 a try, but why the SC over regular? I have never used the SC powders and honestly have tried to avoid them.

OOPS! My bad. The only experience I have with 225gr SST is at the range with a factory load off my Ruger M77 MKII ...

TgtGfx1.jpg

There's a fellow in Australia (from another forum) that is a big fan of SSTs. When I find his thread (if I remember), will gladly share it.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    77-78gr RL22 (make sure to work up) with a 180gr pill, win brass, and a CCI lr primer for the 300win

78gr has been good for us in several rem700's
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    SC powder lights a little better than standard H4831. If you research Jack O'Connors 270 load, he used Mag primers with his load of 59grs of H4831 and a 130gr bullet, said the mag primers made for better ignition. I shoot the same load with 140gr Nosler Accu Bond bullets, 59gr H4831SC and Winchester LRP primers.
    As has been stated, I hunt with H4831 because of the cold temp where I hunt.
    W.D.
    edited November -1
    what do you mean by cold? I hunt in temps from 20-40 most of the time.
    edited November -1
    0-32 alot of the time, some years warmer, H4831 is not as temature sensitive as many other powders. I've also hunted in northern B.C., the Yukon and Alaska, never had a problem with ignition. Grew up in eastern Montana, it gets a little cool there as well. Growing up, we spent 6 months a year breaking ice so the cattle could drink water, two weeks after breaking ice, we where hauling water because it was hot and dry and the water was gone.
    W.D.
    edited November -1
    it generally doesn't get that cold until late muzzleloading. this year there was maybe a week where you could actually get on the stand and hunt due to the snow and cold.