In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

BEST .223 LOADS TESTED (AR15)

steveonosteveono Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
I have been experimenting with the .223 for years, and won many competitions with it. I have kept these few loads to myself for years, but if they do not produce sub MOA groups, then your gun needs to be sold. In all my guns they shoot .2's very consistently, from short barrel LMT's to the 24" Wilson 1/8. My RRA Varmint A4 shot a consistent .850-.950 w/ factory Black Hills ammo. It has a 1/8 Wilson 20" SS barrel. I would have thought that w/ the 1/8 that the heavier bullets would be best, but to my dismay the Hornady 50gr V MAX w/ 42gr of 4895 produce 3 and 5 shot groups consistant at .2's @100m. Winchester Brass, CCI BR primers, loaded to fit the magazine. Please try this load and post results, and you will be amazed. I gave the loads to a well known shooter "Graymist" years ago, and it is now his most accurate load as seen on 6mmbr.com under the .223 page. Try it you will love it. And I know it doesnt have much left at 800m but hitting human size steel targets at that distance is easy as pie, when you calculate wind correctly. All you AR guys try it. I won the last egg shoot with that gun and load at 1-3-5 and 600yds against all sorts of bolt guns, and getting 3 shots off in 1 min is very easy with the auto. I used to be "bolt only" man but with todays AR accuracy, 6-7 lb guns. What else is there, unless you are a strict BR shooter? If you still dont have an AR, what are you waiting for?

Comments

• Options
    laylandadlaylandad Member Posts: 961 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Impossible!! There is no way that you can get 42gr of 4895 in a .223 case!!!
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    recheck your data, 42gr is almost 2X what a 223 case will hold in 4895. 26gr's is 96% density with a 50gr pill according to nosler
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    As already noted. Put 42 grains in a 223 and your rifle will be in twos and you in the hospital. Maybe 24 grains...but no way 42 grains...I don't even put that much in my 22-250.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I left this thread open for additional comments.

Let's all of us use this as a lesson.

It is very easy to transpose numbers while typing. The "2" and the "4" are transposed in the post. Thankfully, 42 grains of 4895 will not fit into a 223 case. The proper load should have been listed as 24 grains, a well known, safe recommendation for MOST rifles......

ALWAYS CONFIRM THAT LOADS BEING RECOMMENDED ARE SAFE.