In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Magnum primers

DEEREHARTDEEREHART Member Posts: 374 ✭✭✭
I have 2000 magnum primers and nothing to use them in, unless I can use them in place of regular primers. I was wondering can they be used for some light 45acp loads. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    When is it appropriate to switch from standard primers to magnum primers? I can see a need when using large amounts of powder in large cases(375 h&h) but what about smaller cases (22-250)? Has any one come up with a hard and fast rule. Most reloading manuals seem a little vague.[?]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Can I safely use magnum primers instead of standard Small Pistol in 38/357 loads without changing bullet/powder combo? Great deal on them at Wally World if I can. Plinking loads so I'm not worried about accuracy too much. Want to be able to hit what I shoot at though.[:)]
  • Options
    zimmdenzimmden Member Posts: 237 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is appropriate when powder or bullet companies recommend them. Slower burning powders in 22-250 need magnum primers. Since the companies have done pressure and velocity tests before they recommend them, they can be trusted as safe. Substituting these primers based on guess work is risky at best.
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When the reloading manuals tell you to do so.