In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

trail boss

GONESHOOTINGGONESHOOTING Member Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
Has anyone here used trail boss[?]

Comments

• Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For what caliber? Or do you just want som feedback?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    For 44 special and 45 colt,but plan on using it on other calibers as well.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It is real fluffy. A moderate 45 lc load will nearly fill the case(to the base of the bullet). It meters well and is dirty like black powder and the smoke is somewhat realistic. it does not come in a one pound container. The container is the same size but I believe it only will hold 10 oz. (again, very fluffy) I do not have it with me so that figure may be wrong. Works well with lead bullets, but so does TITEGROUP. I have loaded both the cartridges you mentioned and other than nostalgia purposes, I dont personally see any benefits.
    My 2c

PS. It looks like little flat washers (donuts)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the reply[:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Does it corrode brass like real black powder[?]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    NO. just dirty. See edit to last post. I took the brass cartridge lifter out of my 1873 and washed it off with soap and water after a day and no corrosion,just soot.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    I like it as it fills the case much better than standard powders, and while it is slightly dirtier it is completely noncorrosive. a little goes a long way, in rifle cal's you might use 30/40 gns of say 4198 while with trail boss you'd only use 10/15 gns. and sill get usuable velocity and low pressure.
  • Options
    excavmanexcavman Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've used it in everything from 218 Bee to 45-70 for cast bullet light loads. There's more load data coming out all the time. Works great, I haven't noticed it being too dirty.
  • Options
    rhoperhope Member Posts: 118 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've used it with cast bullets in 38-40 (rifle), 40-2 1/2 Rem., 45-70, 38 Special, and 45 Colt with good results.

Plan to try others as well. Does anybody have data for 25-35 (100 gr. cast bullet), 32 S & W (85 gr, wadcutter), 38 S & W (135 gr. semi-wadcutter ?