In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

shell holder for 300 Win mag

Cornflk1Cornflk1 Member Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭
What number shell holder is correct for a 300 Winchester mag ? have a RCBS rockchecker and Redding dies. Buddy wants me to reload for his rifle, I bought the dies through GB auction about 6 months ago, but they didn't come with a shell holder. Am just getting around to reloading for him today (didn't say I was punctual[^]) when I realised I didn't know the right holder -- my reloading book is generic and didn't list the #.

thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Redding, C-H, or Texan is #6: RCBS is #4: Bonanza is #2: Lyman is #13: Pacific or Lee is #5. And, yes, any and all the mentioned shell holders will fit your press.
  • Options
    joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
    edited November -1
    i picked up a set of lee shell holders. kind of a variety pack. had 12 different ones in it. so far ive used the 223 and 9mm out of the set. i also have rcbs shell holders. the 223 lee holder is difficult to get in the ram on my press or take off. it has to be turned a certain way and then adjusted once in place. the lee 9mm shell holder is a POS. it fits in my press fine but after i deprimed my cases and went to put the shell holder on my hand priming tool IT WOULD NOT FIT. i could not get the plastic insert into the priming tool with that bloody lee shell holder in place. had to go out and get and rcbs. im going to stick with rcbs from now on.
  • Options
    cnsaycnsay Member Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by joshmb1982
    i picked up a set of lee shell holders. kind of a variety pack. had 12 different ones in it. so far ive used the 223 and 9mm out of the set. i also have rcbs shell holders. the 223 lee holder is difficult to get in the ram on my press or take off. it has to be turned a certain way and then adjusted once in place. the lee 9mm shell holder is a POS. it fits in my press fine but after i deprimed my cases and went to put the shell holder on my hand priming tool IT WOULD NOT FIT. i could not get the plastic insert into the priming tool with that bloody lee shell holder in place. had to go out and get and rcbs. im going to stick with rcbs from now on.

Lee shell holders fit in my RCBS hand primer the same as the RCBS ones do. Maybe a burr in yours or something?
  • Options
    joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
    edited November -1
    i haven't taken my micrometer to the lee shell holder but no difference i can see/feel. there is a most definite difference between the lee 223 and 9mm shell holder and rcbs shell holders though.
  • Options
    bigdaddy75069bigdaddy75069 Member Posts: 161 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1