In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

44 mag reloads for 20 inch bbl. ????

I am looking for best loads for Henry big boy 20 in. bbl. Just starting reloading again any ideas? or anyone shoot these. Shooting 240 gr. XTP bullets. Thanks for any comments in advance.

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Any good load you use for a handgun works in a rifle. I use about a max load fo 2400 or H-110 in my Marlin.
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 on DCS. Use a heavy roll crimp. Also have used 4227 with very good results.
  • Options
    westernMDhunterwesternMDhunter Member Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use 23.0 grains of 4227 with 240 grain XTP's in my carbine. Heavy roll crimp it also.
  • Options
    excavmanexcavman Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've used 2400 and 4227 behind a 300gr cast gas check bullet with good results, velocity around 1400fps with a 24" barrel Puma. Lyman 48th ed.
  • Options
    grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use 4427 with 200 and 240 xtp with good results out of a 10in Contender.
  • Options
    44shotdoctor44shotdoctor Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you look in your reload manuels there are relaods for 44 mag rifle. They for the most part are the same as pstol except for the fps. You will notice all rounds are loaded to max or near max velocity. I load h110 or 296 and get great results. My favorite is 296 as i great groups. No ice cream rounds should be used.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,197 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I regret that the slang term "ice cream rounds" is new to me. It means...?
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's due to the auto sensor. What he wrote has to do with a type of cat that starts with the letter P, ends with the letter Y, and has 3 letters between them.[:D]

I'll stop there before the "powers that be" poof this thread.
  • Options
    excavmanexcavman Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    By "ice cream loads" I think he means light loads. Win 296 can do 'funny' things if it's loaded too light.
  • Options
    freaknastyfreaknasty Member Posts: 343 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info I reloaded 21gr. of 2400 240gr. xtp's with heavy roll crimp thanks for the tip on that. I've been reloading .308 with out a crimp for accuracy feed one at a time. my reloading book is old an only gives reference to tc. with 14in. barrel didn't know how much more press. 6 more inch's would create? Didn't fig. it would make muck diff. but don't want to ruin a new rifle will try to update later