In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Reloading tip #1

I have tried the RCBS pad with liquid - works ok, but do not get ANY on the shoulders - you will end up with dented shoulders on the case.

I have also tried the spray on case lube - works good, but did get my first experience with a stuck case. I tried lightly lubing, moderate lubing, and heavy spray on lubing...not impressed...especially with the price per can.

I just picked up a small container of Hornady case lube - VERY impressed. Just dab your finger in the very light paste, twirl the case around, lube the inside of the case, and you are done. NO failures and VERY inexpensive.

Using the Hornady case lube also provides you the PERFECT opportunity to give each one of your cases a complete once over - the hidden added benefit. Rate this one 4.9 stars (nothing is perfect...right?!?!?!).

Comments

• Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    Since RCBS lube was included in a few pieces of equipment that I purchased, I have used it for the entire time I've reloaded, however I don't use the pad. The tube that the lube came in cracked and started leaking several years ago, so I tranfered the lube to a small metal can, open on top. So I just dip my finger to get a little dab of the lube, then run the case between my fingers. Thus I can keep the lube on the lower half of the case and in so doing have never had a stuck case.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use the RCBS in the "eyedropper" bottle when it is warm. It only spreads sell that way. I normally get it on the pad, then roll it around with one case to spread it out. After rolling and lubing each case I take and grab each case around midway down the body to get some of the lube on my fingers then pull down and lube the necks ofn everyone of my cases.
    The rest of the year I use the spray by Lyman. it is thinner and works great for case lubrication. All you need to do is make the case slippery, you don't have to have lubrication showing on a case to make it work.
    One of the big things to remember, I think, is to ensure you get the inside of the case mouth as well as the outside of the case. This allows the neck sizer to easily bring the neck back out to where it needs to be and not stretch the case. Remember to clean the necks though or you will get powder backups when you go to load the cases with powder. -good luck

We have the second amendment so that all the rest are secure....UNK>
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    TIP#2
    The best case lube in this world is Imperial Sizing die wax.

Redding has bought them out, and Sinclair has it....

Gun control is hitting what your aiming at.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ditto redding/imperial sizing die wax. A little dab will do ya. I spread it all around the case with my fingers then wipe it off as it comes out of the die. I would venture a guess that 20,000rnds or more would be doable with 1 little can of wax.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I second the Imperial Wax. I've used it for years and its great and easily wiped off without have to tumble clean to remove the grease. I first used it in my old wildcatting days when I needed to neck up or down or reform cases drastically. Never had a stuck case with it either.
  • Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    I will try to pick up some Imperial and see the difference. I suspect there may be little or no difference with the Hornady.
  • Options
    Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hornady or Dillon <(I cringe at the name) spray lube works great for me. I have some home made stuff I use with a pad. Mostly I load 500-1000+ rounds at a time and a pad won't get it!

"No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.
    - Ronald Reagan
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    dcloco
    With the Unique (or the imperial) I find that rubbing a little bit between the palms of my hands, than rolling the cases (5-6 at a time) between my palms does a great job. For pistol, smear a little on the tip of 2 fingers and thumb of the hand you handle cases with, just handling the cases is enough to make sizing easier.

Whittemore
    Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I dump my brass in a tub, spray 2-3 pumps of dillon lube, shake around, then am good to go. I give one or two shakes as i put in the shellholder to get the drops off if they seem too wet. Perhaps 1 in 100 dent the shoulder. Hornady works but it is wasteful. Lee works well but is messy and should be permitted to dry.

"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conf
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use Lee case lube.About a third of a tube in a 8oz.spray bottle and fill the rest of the bottle with rubbing alcohol and shake.Lay the cases on a clean rag and spray and give them time for the alochol to dry.The first case or two,I smear a little lube right from the tube to be sure the dies are well lubed.It is cheap,the lube will not hurt powder or primers and it works very well.
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    I use the Hornady spray lube.

Get a cookie tray, line cases up in rows...mouths facing same direction. Spray rows.
    Angle the can into the mouths..spray lightly.

Roll the cases 180 degrees..and spray a light pass.

I can lube a thousand cases in a few moments...and have never stuck a case or got more then a minor dent..easily rectified by running a VERY lightly lubed case thru resizing die.

Then the cases are off for their second tumbling.

I use Imperial for case forming..super stuff.
  • Options
    rhoperhope Member Posts: 118 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I started reloading I bought my first tools and components from a guy who ran a small gun/ammunition/reloading business out of his home. When I asked him about case lubricant he said he would be happy to sell me some commercial lubricant but that he personally used Vaseline. I thanked him and went and bought a jar of Vaseline. That was more than 50 years and many thousands of rounds ago. I am now on my second jar of Vaseline (100 gram). The price sticker is still on the jar ($2.89). I probably have enough left to last the rest of my life. Just wipe it on with your fingers. Wipe off with a rag after resizing. Be carefull not to use to much and keep it off the shoulder if you don't want to dent your cases.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    WOW a blast from the past.

Since this was started I've switched over to mainly Lee lube diluted with water and put in a spray bottle. Spray on and let dry.

Why Lee? It dries, and doesn't leave an oily film that needs to be removed. I tumble sized brass anyhow but sometimes tumbling doesn't get some of the oily stuff out of the case and contaminates powder. Whereas the lee stuff is non-contaminating as it is water based.
  • Options
    omansbomansb Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ditto in the Hornady One Shot....best stuff I have found to use, and will likely stay with it as long as it is marketed.
  • Options
    cnsaycnsay Member Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use CorrosionX spray lube. Put some on a rag and wipe the cases lightly, lube the inside of the case on every third, never had a problem with stuck cases or case damage. One can of spray if only used for reloading should last five lifetimes. I also use it in the shop, way better penetraiting lube than WD-40.
  • Options
    BGHillbillyBGHillbilly Member Posts: 1,927 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try Crisco shortning instead of Vaseline, it's even more economical and comes in 3lb cans.
  • Options
    lksmith03lksmith03 Member Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use Sharp Shoot R Royal Case Sizing Wax, cheaper than imperial and I have had no stuck cases. Since I use a single stage press for my 30-06 and 30-30 I just put a latex glove on (seems to go farther since it doesn't get absorbed into the skin) and put the wax on that since I have to touch each case regardless.