In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1000 yard scope magnification?

Just wondering what you guys who have shot 1000 yds before prefer as far as scope magnification. A range near me has a 1000 yd range in the works and I was really set on a NightForce NXS F1 but it's max power is only 15x. Is that enough to see a man size target at 1000 yds?

Comments

• Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Well, to SEE it? I can see a man sized target at 1000 yards with iron sights. Heck I've shot at targets at 1000 yards with iron sights that while larger than a man, I kept all shots on a man sized area of the target.

You will clearly see the target with a 15X, yes.

Whether that's enough depends what your gun is capable of.

I suppose in an ideal world I'd go for a bit more powerful scope, maybe a 24X.

This all depends on your eyesight too of course. [;)]
  • Options
    goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    eyesight is just about 20/20, rifle will be a Remington 5R in .308
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I answered in GD forum.

308 is getting subsonic at around 850-880yds IIRC, so you may rethink your chambering.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Goldeneagle76,

I prefer having 6-24 or 8-32 variable power. I shoot with a guy who has a Nightforce 12-42x56. That thing is incredible on good days in that you can see bullet holes @ 500 yds. Clarity is the real key there. But that takes a near perfect day. And if it ever gets heavy with mirage he's down at 12-16x like the rest of us.

So, the first thing in my mind is how clear is the scope you intend to buy. High power means nothing if it's not clear and undistorted. My Burris 6-24 is undistorted but certainly not as clear as a Nightforce. My Zeiss is clear and undistorted but definitely not as powerful as my friends Nightforce. My US optic ST-10 and Meopta 3.5-10X Meostar are clear enough to see at 1k but not near powerful enough if I had to differentiate between my Burris or the NF. Sensing a pattern here?
    A very clear 15X Nightforce can be had for $1100-1500 and it's plenty of power to get you to 1k. You can still up from there. But there's also a lot of decent scopes on the market from $600 up to $1k. Vortex makes a very good scope right now for between $500 and $1k depending on what you get on it, and objective size. That would be my best recommendation right now a 6.5-20x50 Viper.
  • Options
    goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sandwarrior
    Goldeneagle76,

I prefer having 6-24 or 8-32 variable power. I shoot with a guy who has a Nightforce 12-42x56. That thing is incredible on good days in that you can see bullet holes @ 500 yds. Clarity is the real key there. But that takes a near perfect day. And if it ever gets heavy with mirage he's down at 12-16x like the rest of us.

So, the first thing in my mind is how clear is the scope you intend to buy. High power means nothing if it's not clear and undistorted. My Burris 6-24 is undistorted but certainly not as clear as a Nightforce. My Zeiss is clear and undistorted but definitely not as powerful as my friends Nightforce. My US optic ST-10 and Meopta 3.5-10X Meostar are clear enough to see at 1k but not near powerful enough if I had to differentiate between my Burris or the NF. Sensing a pattern here?
    A very clear 15X Nightforce can be had for $1100-1500 and it's plenty of power to get you to 1k. You can still up from there. But there's also a lot of decent scopes on the market from $600 up to $1k. Vortex makes a very good scope right now for between $500 and $1k depending on what you get on it, and objective size. That would be my best recommendation right now a 6.5-20x50 Viper.

the scopes I am looking at right now are the:
    NightForce NXS F1 3.5-15x50 FFP
    Leupold Mark 4 ER/T 6.5-20x50 FFP
    Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50 FFP
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    goldeneagle76,

If you can afford the Razor HD 5-20x50 that would be the clear winner. Followed (I would say closely) by the NF then the Leupy. for that kind of cash you might also look at a US Optic SN3.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    goldeneagle76.

These are the scopes I've used and can recommend:

U.S. Optics

Model: SN-3 T-PAL
    Power: 5-25x
    Length: 18.00
    Weight: 2.50
    Eye Relief: 3.5

Model: SN-3
    Power: 3.2-17x
    Length: 16.50
    Weight: 2.10
    Eye Relief: 3.5

March Tactical Rifle Series

6 Magnification Ratio
    5-32x52

The March Tactical Rifle Scope uses multi-coated extra-low dispersion (ED) lenses which reduce chromatic aberration and are designed to provide the best possible image resolution despite high magnification. Specifically, these lenses in conjunction with precision optical design have made high zoom ratios of 6 and 10 practical while maintaining excellent image quality throughout the zoom range.
    The function and reliability of these scopes comes from an evolution of the March designs proven in benchrest rifle competition.

10 Magnification Ratio
    2.5-25x42

These scopes provide the highest magnification ratio in a rifle scope made to date. Both models are capable of focusing from 10 yards to infinity, with oversize and easy to turn elevation, windage, and side focusing dials. These compact scopes are able to encompass the performance of two to three zoom scopes in one.
    Expand your world more than ever before.

This is the benchrest selection:

http://www.deon.co.jp/march/Benchrest_scope.html

Schmidt & Bender

5-25 x 56 Police Marksman II LP

True 2000-meter capability. Unlike most long-range variables that offer only a 4x magnification multiple, the 5-25 x 56 provides a full 5x and a wider field of view. Parallax adjustment in a separate turret, completely adjustable from 10 meters to infinity.

The illuminated reticle has 11 graduated settings offering precise control relative to ambient light. The scope includes Schmidt & Bender's unique color-coded "Double Turn" elevation knob that gives the shooter instant reference to where the elevation is set. The entire 100-minute adjustment range can be covered in just two turns of the knob. The user will never become "lost" within the adjustment range.

The 5-25 x 56 is offered with 56 MOA of 1/4 MOA clicks, or 273cm (93 MOA) of 1cm clicks. Your choice of P3 or P4 reticles. Specifications

Nightforce

8-32 x 56 NXS

Since 1992, Nightforce has been a winner in countless benchrest competitions. We have taken that knowledge and success and combined it with the durability and features of our NXS line to create the ultimate long-range field and target scopes. Evolved from our tactical line, the 8-32 x 56 and 12-42 x 56 offer fast adjustments for precise, repeatable shot placement. The extremely high magnification ranges mean there is now virtually no target outside the capable shooter's reach.

Best.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If buying a variable, get at least one size larger than you think you need or are recommended on the internet.
    You can always turn an 8-32 down, you cannot turn a 5-15 up any more.