In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Trouble with new brass

guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
I just got a bag of new Winchester brass (22-250). I checked the length of all of them. They ran from 1.900" up to 1.908. Too much variance for me,,so I decided to trim them all to the trim-to length of 1.902", just to be uniform.

I am also having a hard time getting the guide from the trimmer into the case mouth so I can trim them. Is this just because the brass is new? I have never had that problem with once (or any other number) fired brass, even after resizing.

I haven't tried to chamber any of them yet. I am still deburring case mouths and flash holes. I hope they have done a better job with the body dimensions than they did with the rest of the case.

While I am no expert (obviously) I am not a rookie either. I have been loading my own for about four years now and this is the first real trouble I've experienced.

This is only the second batch of new brass I have ever worked with. The other was Winchester 243WSSM that I necked up to 25WSSM. I had no problems with that brass at all.

Any info, suggestions or words of wisdom would be welcome!

Comments

• Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Did you size it first? If not, the necks may be just enough out of round to cause issues. Or may not be expanded enough. I've tried loading new brass and run into both, ergo I always size new brass before the first loading.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the fast answer. No, I have not sized them yet. I always size before I trim. Wrongly perhaps, I thought I shouldn't have to size these so now I am half way (or better) through trimming them.

I chambered about 15 of them with no problems. Perhaps I should just do a partial FL size on them? I don't have a set of neck dies for this cartridge.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    guntech59,

You should size before trimming. As it leaves everything sized to your die (if not your rifle) then you can trim to length with everything in round and long enough to trim.

The reason I alway size first is because then I know I have 3-4 sizings before I trim again. If I trimmed then sized I lose the first trimming.

-good luck
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you, also.

I always size, then trim. I trimmed first this time because it was new brass and didn't think I'd have to size it first.

Learn something new every day!
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,801 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    guntech59, you are not the only one. I have noticed variation as much as 12 thousands of an inch and it is not just with WW brass. Rem is no better. Seems the longer the case, the more variation.

Worse, I have noticed variation in the thickness of the rim. Have you ever has difficulty getting a case in a shell holder. If you do, take out the calipers and check.

Jonk is right, I too always FL size new brass before I trim and will never start the reloading process on new brass without sizing & trimming to the "trim to length" first .
    Things are different with pistol cases. I have noticed much more consistency.
  • Options
    bentley47bentley47 Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1
    Most manufacturers tumble new brass to polish out annealing discoloration. Tumbling large lots may be responsible for slightly deforming neck diameter and rounding over the edge. Sizing new brass, even just partial neck sizing, helps trimming and bullet seating.
  • Options
    glockman40swglockman40sw Member Posts: 105 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have run into the problem of the necks being out of round alot with new brass if you don't resize it first. Some of the new brass had flat spots on the neck which were easily visible while others were minute, but still out of round enough to make it tough to fit the trim collet inside the neck. I once tried to use new brass as is and reload them right out of the bag an ran into problems trying to seat the bullets. The best way to reload using new brass, as was already stated, is to resize the brass first and trim to length.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The consensus is to resize first so, that is what I'll do.

I did notice, upon closer examination, that alot of the mouths are out of round. I hope I don't have to trim again after sizing. I'm not really worried and them being at the trim to length as I am about them being close to the same length. Within .002 would be OK, I would think.

Thanks for the help, guys!
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Agreed that sizing first is the way to go. One problem I've encountered, however, is that the trimmer guide is then, depending on a bunch of variables, a tight fit in the neck which also can make trimming difficult. In this case it's an easy matter to bring the pilot down a thousanth or so until it forms a snug but not tight fit in the necks.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,801 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had some that had a burr on the inner case mouth the required chamfering before the pilot would enter. I don't size new brass unless it has a need. I know the little tag said to but if it fits I don't.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I load and fire them first. This way, all brass is formed to your chamber, and the external dimensions are the same. NOW you know which cases need trimming etc.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    I load and fire them first. This way, all brass is formed to your chamber, and the external dimensions are the same. NOW you know which cases need trimming etc.

JustC,

Good point. A moderate load with the fastest powder you would normally use for that cartridge?

As a side to that, I know a couple guys who won't fireform with bullets just to save barrel life. I forget what cartridge it was, but I watched one of them go through 100 rounds charged with pistol powder, flour and topped with wax. That sure seems like a lot of work to me.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    nope, I start a load ladder and let the brass form. It isn't that far off when new, so fireforming with a load ladder still yields the same results. The benefit is that after firing, your brass is uniform and the ladder has been started. You lose nothing in barrel life that way.[;)]