In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Moderate Load for .44 Magnum

RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
For years I followed Elmer and Skeeter; 240 grain hard cast; 21 grains of 2400 in the mags, 7.5 of Unique in the .44 special.
I've since stepped down to a quieter, less "thumpy" load of about 1,000 fps in Mag. which has proven fine for whitetail at my self imposed open sight handgun range of 50 yards.
This weekend I was organizing some of my stuff and discovered that I have about 400, 200 grain Hornady XTP's and about half that many Noslers in the same weight.
I'm thinking that something in the 1,100 to 1,200 fps range will approximate the 50 yard punch of my 240's.
Anyone have and favorite loads in this moderate range for me to consider? I've loaded a half dozen with 9.7 grains of W-W 231 but haven't had a chance to check them for velocity/accuracy yet.
Thanks

Thanks Grizz,
I'll check out the load. Any idea what velocity range you're in? I'm guessing that might be fairly warm?
Rocky,
Sounds good. Rain forecast for the coming weekend so I'll time to hit the books and plan the plan. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm using 27.1 grains of 4227 with a 200 grain XTP. I took the load from the yellow Contender load book. Book says 1700, so I guess that is kinda steep for what your looking for. It's super accurate out of my 10 in. Contender, but on deer the xtp's don't start to open well till about 80yds.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,209 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Simply compare a 44 Special Max load with the Start load for the 44 Magnum using the exact same components. Somewhere between the two will be the load you seek.

Note that this is only for powders that can safely be reduced at all. H110/W296 can NOT.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    10.5 of Unique is one that I use... I have never chronographed it from my 6.5" 629 classic, but it should be close to what you're looking for.