In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

bullet choice

aauyaaauya Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
off to AK this may to hunt costal browns, going to use my 375h&h any info would be nice
swift a-frame ??
partition ??
barnes??

Comments

• Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    aauya,

You won't go wrong with any of those. Woodleigh bullets is another one you might look into. Norma makes a good one in their Oryx bonded, you can get them from Graf's or Midway.
    Nosler Accubond, or partition as you mentioned, or solid.

Hornady Dangerous game or Sierra. They'll all work. Get what you can. Work up a good RELIABLE load. Then go have some fun.

good luck
  • Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sandwarrior
    aauya,

You won't go wrong with any of those. Woodleigh bullets is another one you might look into. Norma makes a good one in their Oryx bonded, you can get them from Graf's or Midway.
    Nosler Accubond, or partition as you mentioned, or solid.

Hornady Dangerous game or Sierra. They'll all work. Get what you can. Work up a good RELIABLE load. Then go have some fun.

good luck

+1, esp. on the fun part [:p]. We look forward to some pictures and sharing the experience.

Good luck!

Ed
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The bullet you choose is a lot less important that where you place it. Any premium bullet, with controlled expansion, will be fine, I used Nosler Partitions. The 375 H&H is very popular for the big bears in AK. It sure has the horse power to get the job done.

Good luck, be safe, shoot straight. [:D]
  • Options
    375H&H375H&H Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The good ol three seven five [:)]

I'v shot alot of Pa. whitetails using Speer's 235gr bullets loaded to just about 3000fps out of a Browning A Bolt with a 26" tube , and also shot a few of their 285 gr Grand Slams .

I don't think you would want to shoot as light a bullet as 235gr for Brown Bear , but the thing I'd like to mention is that for some reason or other , the 375H&H will shoot different bullet weights to "Almost " the same point of impact . I found this to be very true .

You can practice with the lighter bullets , its a little cheaper and it saves big time on the shoulder .

I'v since grown older and for lack of a better word , wiser , the H&H does'nt see a whole lotta use anymore from me out in the woods of Pa. I have retired that rifle for something a little less punishing , the 270 win is now my choise of hunting rifle .

Maybe I need to change user names , but from 17 until my mid 30's I loved that cannon from Holland and Holland known as the "Three Seven Five" !!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    aauyaaauya Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ive heard that the partitions are not as efficiant as the swift a-frame when it comes to big coastal bears ,
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by aauya
    ive heard that the partitions are not as efficiant as the swift a-frame when it comes to big coastal bears ,

That could be the topic of discussion for ever and a day.[:D] If you shoot a brown bear through the boiler room, hitting lungs and other important parts, he will die. Bone smashing power is handy, you will have that in spades with a 375 H&H. don't forget, many brown bears have been shot with the 7mm Mag, 30-06, 300 and 338 win mags with complete success. Your choice of the 375 has all of those calibers beat by a long way. Pick your premium bullet, develop a load that is reliable and accurate, it will do the job for you just fine.