In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

WOW

mkirklandmkirkland Member Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭✭
This is borderline overwhelming. I have a Lee reloader that I was going to start using 10 years ago, but never did. Now I was looking to actually put it to some use, or maybe start using my wifes deceased fathers old RCBS equipment. How do you figure out which powder to use from which manufacturer, or which primers to use? Let alone bullets, casings and all of the other holder, trimmer, media kinds of things. Darn it, I think I might actually have to pick up a book and read it[:o)]. Who would have thought that this hobbie would take that kind of dedication![B)]

Comments

• Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When all else fails read the instructions.
    Do some reading before doing anything "intuitive" with the equipment or the results could spoil your afternoon.
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was reading books and reloading manuals for months before I even had equipment and supplies on hand. Even then I had at least a million questions.

Knowing someone that is an experienced reloader is a real timesaver.

I have learned alot from the people here. Some of it was about what I SHOULD do and some was what NOT to do. Either way it was educational.

Have fun and be careful.
  • Options
    mkirklandmkirkland Member Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any reccomendations for a good book or video? No friends that shoot or reload (Commifornia, hard to have friends that have the same values as me) so no help on that front. Thanks for the help.
  • Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It never hurts to have plenty of reloading books as references. I started (last year) with Lyman and Nosler manuals, and RCBS reloading video as well as tons of online sources.

Good luck.

Ed
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mkirkland
    Any reccomendations for a good book or video? No friends that shoot or reload (Commifornia, hard to have friends that have the same values as me) so no help on that front. Thanks for the help.

The Lyman reloading manual and the ABC's of Reloading.
  • Options
    idahoduckeridahoducker Member Posts: 740 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know how you feel. When I first started with an RCBS kit and it's Speer manual it boggled my mind. How the heck do you know where to start?
    All of the reloading manuals have good info beyond load recipes. The more you get into reloading the more manuals you'll want/need. The ABC's of Reloading is also a good general reference.
    Most of the manuals are from the bullet makers. Speer, Hornady, Nosler and you get load recipes for their bullets. They all have chapters on the how to's of most everything you'll need to know.
    You can get more recipe info from the powder makers for free in both booklet form and on their websites. However, they don't offer the how to's that the big books do.
    I think RCBS has some good video online too.
    Once you get some reading done then the reloading forum here will fill in all the blanks for you. While you'll usually find a big list of different powders for any given round, there are usually one or two that generally give all around good results for each round and you can get that info just by asking here.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sierra make a video that is quite informative.

The Nosler loading manual also walks you through the process quite well.

Once you have the grasp, go load some pills with an experienced loader, and when you get home to your equipment, it will all come right to you.

Stick to the manuals and their recommended loads and powders. Don't try to experiment as that should only be undertaken after some years of following the rules.
  • Options
    375H&H375H&H Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Load manuals make for some fantastic "bathroom " reading material [8D]

Hun Bun's is always kidding about , how I strole through the hallway with a manual , she knows where I'm going . She says , Al Bundy tucks a newspaper under his arm , I grab Sierra , Nosler , or Hornady , and everyone knows where we'er going .
  • Options
    jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As you have become aware of there are so many procedures, components, tools etc it can overwhelm a novice. First take a moment to step back and look at the goal. The goal to create reliable, safe and accurate ammo. Concentrate on reliable and safe ammo the accurate will follow. Inform yourself of the physical framework that controls the outcome, before you pick up the tools to manipulate the outcome. You are going to burn powder to build pressure to launch a projectile. Here are some important physical properties involved:

Modern Powder (progressive) builds up ever increasing pressure as it burns relative to its confined space. The shape of the powder, balls, sticks, flakes etc effects its' progressive burn rate and thus the pressure produced. The number or name given to a powder is often useless to a novice to understand its progressive burn rate. All powder achieves the same goal, burn and produce pressure, but due to its physical properties will perform differently under different confinement and payload to push.
    Primers come in different sizes to fit the cartridge/shell and also come in different flash intensities. This will effect the burn of the powder and thus pressure.
    Cartridge shape(confinement) effects the burn characteristics of the powder.
    Bullet weight, shape `and placement in the cartridge effects powder confinement and thus pressure.
    Always keep in mind you are creating huge pressure right in front of your face and eyes with your forward hand holding the barrel which will direct the pressure away. Serious stuff with loading data and measurements you must adhere to and approach with caution.
    There are lot of good knowledgeable individuals here to advice you along.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First, read my brief article here: http://www.reloadingroom.com/index_files/Reloading%20101.htm (Do use Firefox as IE may scramble it.)

That should answer some of your questions. For the rest, we are all here.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    jasper57jasper57 Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good source Rocky.
  • Options
    264fan264fan Member Posts: 81 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jasper57
    Good source Rocky.

Oh my,,, Santa's gonna be pissed!