In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hand Priming Saves A Step????????

I submitted a post concerning hand priming vs RCBS tube feeding. I don't like the feel when some of my primers are seated with the tube feed. I wanted to know if I should switch to a hand primer, and was told most think the hand primer is better. My question now is why does everybody say hand priming saves a step? My tube feed primer feeds the primer while I'm doing another step (de-priming). If I go to a hand primer I will actually be adding another step to my single stage reloading. What am I missing here?

Comments

• Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    loading the primer tube is a step.
    I don't like to prime on the upstroke and have been using a light weight Lee C press
    for priming.
    I too am considering a hand priming tool.
  • Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by partisan
    If I go to a hand primer I will actually be adding another step to my single stage reloading. What am I missing here?

Negative! You'll be using a hand primer in lieu of your press (tube primer feeder set up). Here's what I use ...

s7_216103_imageset_01.jpg

Good luck!

Ed
  • Options
    idahoduckeridahoducker Member Posts: 740 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another benefit of hand priming is that you an take it with you. I've primed the majority of my cases while watching TV. Except for loading the tray you can do it all by feel.
  • Options
    CHEVELLE427CHEVELLE427 Member Posts: 6,750
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by idahoducker
    Another benefit of hand priming is that you an take it with you. I've primed the majority of my cases while watching TV. Except for loading the tray you can do it all by feel.

same here[;)]
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CHEVELLE427
    quote:Originally posted by idahoducker

same here[;)]

Me too [;)] Just watch when loading tray that all primers face the same way.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you're like me and don't trust press priming, hand priming is an assurance step. I use a LEE 1000 but deprime,tumble, and reprime as a whole seperate sequence. I'm not on a short time schedule, so that is not a factor. If I have extra spots on the turret, I seat and crimp seperately.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    If you're like me and don't trust press priming, hand priming is an assurance step. I use a LEE 1000 but deprime,tumble, and reprime as a whole seperate sequence. I'm not on a short time schedule, so that is not a factor. If I have extra spots on the turret, I seat and crimp seperately.

i have a 1000 as well but i don't use it to powder and seat.
    it skipped a charge 3 times so no more trust there for me, i like to see powder in each case

(still cant see how it is even possible to skip one)
    (and NO it was not out of powder).

caught it on a charge weight check

9mm,45acp are a little hard to see on the lee 1000.

ill use the hand primer on rifle rounds mainly I'm set up for most all hand gun using the lee from 9mm to 44mag don't even wont to know how much i have in this set up over the years[:0]

and only use 2/3 of the press
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,202 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Perhaps what is meant is that you skip that step on the press.

I don't think I have ever primed on the press - but if I did it was 50+ years ago and not since then. I use two Lee Auto-Primes, one set up for small and one for large primers. One reason I do so is to be able to pay better attention to how the primers seat. And that's why I do not do it while watching TV.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1

The powder measure on the 1000 I had cost me a Douglas barrel.
    Got rid of that junk and went with Dillon---PROBLEM SOLVED [;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcs shooters

The powder measure on the 1000 I had cost me a Douglas barrel.
    Got rid of that junk and went with Dillon---PROBLEM SOLVED [;)]

my next buy I HOPE (dillon), like stated i just bypass that part now and use an RCBS uniflow, beam scale and an electronic scale, so far so good