In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

reloading for a NE 45-70

I JUST PICKED UP A NE 45-70 HANDY RIFLE

question is.

i loaded up some hornady 350 gr fp interlock my max oal is 2.530.

any longer I'm sticking into the rifling. i set this batch at 2.525

wondering if i can use 400-500 gr bullets in this gun? i cant find any projectiles local to measure just how much longer they are from the crimp grove (if there is one)to the end of the bullet.

all i can find is on line items.

does anyone reload for this gun or have any ideas or links

my books talk about modern rifle loads and I'm thinking im in the right category

Comments

• elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It doesn't matter how long the bullet is when it is loaded for a single shot rifle. What is critical is the diameter in front of the crimping groove. They should measure .450 or less in order to slide onto the rifling without pressure. Measure the forward diameter with a caliper, or stick a bullet nose forward into the muzzle & note how far it goes without forcing it. Measure this distance & add it to case length & you have cartridge overall length for that particular bullet. I usually back off a tad so as to not push the bullet into the forcing cone or rifling. I shoot only home cast bullets in my rifles & have no complaints. I could go into minute detail about what I just said, but you get the general idea. Any questions, bring them on. BTW, your rifle is plenty strong, but don't try to make it into a .458.[;)] Ed