In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

45 long colt single shot maxim pressure?

joesjoes Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
I have a 45 long colt single shot rifle made by h & r. This same action model shoots 45-70 ( in the same model) so the action is very sturdy. I load 250 gr. lead behind 2400 powder. I can easily shoot 45 colt+. Does anyone know the maxim pressure I can/should shoot. Has anyone done any work with a single shot which can handle higher pressures than the plus p loads? Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Joe, I hesitated before replying. You have a fairly strong rifle there and it should withstand higher pressure loads than the anemic factory loaded .45 Colt. I have pushed my .45 Ruger Blackhawk a bit, but never to the point that I didn't feel safe. When I first started loading in 1958 I was real enthusiastic about improving on the factory stuff. My Dad said " Eddie, that is a .32 special, it ain't no .300 Savage". Advice well taken, I still have all my body parts.[:)] That is a cute little rifle you have, enjoy it.[;)] Ed
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yup. Use load data that is listed "For Ruger and T/C Only" and you'll be fine. If there is a strength margin in the H&R rifle above those two guns (and that's a large IF) consider it a safety margin and not a license to go nuke.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.