In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Reloading 9mm using XTP and 231

jpaudetjpaudet Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
I bought a box of Hornady 124 gr HP/XTPs and would like to load some using 231 powder. Try as I might I can't seem to find any load data for this bullet. I would like to load these as a personal defense round. I load lead and plated bullets for target shooting using 4.3 grains but these are on the light side. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    Sierra reloading using a Sierra 125 gr HP shows 3.9 to 5.1 grains of 231. I use Unique...5 grains. They show 4.8 grains of 231 equal to 5 grains of Unique. Having said that I would start out at 3.9 grains and slowly work my way up...and certainly not go higher that 5.1 gr in the work up.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I've loaded 1000's of 9mm with 4.5grs. of 231 for years. It is a good load for my guns. You can go to 5.2gr. max.
  • Options
    lksmith03lksmith03 Member Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I usually use 5grs of 231. From what I've seen you can use the same charge weights for 231 as HP38. And you can use the same charge on 124gr hp that you can with heavier bullets since that will usually be safe on lighter bullets
  • Options
    hrbiehrbie Member Posts: 521 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Someone correct me if im wrong but reloads should never be used for personal defense. To much liability. You shoot a bad guy with a reload and the jury sees it as you trying to inflict more pain on a bad guy because you packed a bunch of powder in the case. Just MHO.
  • Options
    jpaudetjpaudet Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've heard the same thing. Hopefully it would never come down to that, but if one of us had to inflict pain I'd rather be the one doing it.
    Besides I've had factory loads on back-order for 4 months from Midway.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Agreed, hopefully the factory ammo comes in though.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hrbie
    Someone correct me if im wrong but reloads should never be used for personal defense. To much liability. You shoot a bad guy with a reload and the jury sees it as you trying to inflict more pain on a bad guy because you packed a bunch of powder in the case. Just MHO.

I don't know the veracity of that but for my carry gun, I want it to have the best ammo I can possibly obtain for that purpose. If that means reloads then so be it. I would much rather be defending my use of the best ammo possible than be in the hospital while the SOB is either running free due to crooked lawyers/judges or worse living in relative comfort with me paying for it with my tax dollars.

that's why I carry my pistol with 15 of my hot handloads.
    The stats on my of my hot loads:
    9mm
    127gr JHP (made from 147gr fmj) @ 1300fps 476ft/lbs muzzle energy
    My expansion tests yield an average mushroomed diameter of .70in
    that muzzle energy exceeds most 45acp and 40S&W loads approaching the ME of a 357Mag (523fpe).
  • Options
    CHEVELLE427CHEVELLE427 Member Posts: 6,750
    edited November -1

always been told to use the same type ammo as the LEO's do, then nothing can be called a super bullet
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ive always heard the same chevelle.

And lksmith, arent we already paying for the bad guys to live in relative comfort with our tax dollars?[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ive always heard the same chevelle.

And lksmith, arent we already paying for the bad guys to live in relative comfort with our tax dollars?[;)]

Well true but, if I ever have to use it I want ensure that I don't have to support that one.