In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Define "good" ammunition

I have recently purchased my very first pistol, a Taurus PT 24/7 Pro DS .40 cal. Thus far I am extremely pleased with the weapon. I grew up with guns in the house but it was normally shotguns and the like.

So far I love my Taurus! It fits my hand like a glove.

That being said, many people comment about not shooting 'cheap' ammunition...so how would you define 'cheap' as in lower quality? What exactly makes ammo A lesser of a quality than say Ammo B?

I bought some Black Hills ammo for my 'just in case' loads...but those were extremely expensive. They are hollow point 180 grain...I am not using them for target practice.

I also bought a box of American Eagle (?) made by Federal and after I shot through that playing with my new gun I went and bought some other Federal 180 grain loads. Just between the two Federal boxes the price difference was $5, but visually they looked identical.

Aside from the shape of the projectile (aka some type of Hydroshock or other hollow point) what is the primary difference in the rounds?

Is it the amount of powder? The type of powder? The resulting muzzle velocity? What about the grain count?

Long story short what should I be looking for when I purchase rounds? I am sure each type of round has its uses but I am just wondering if someone can break it down more clearly for me...

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All modern ammo is fine IMNSHO.

There are some valid arguments about steel cased vs brass cased, but even that is open for discussion. "Good ammo" is ammo that does the job you want done, safely, accurately, and repeatably. Price may not reflect quality but plinking ammo is pretty much the same from brand to brand. Self defense ammo is a personal choice and should be chosen for its utter reliability in your gun. It requires expending at least two boxes of the chosen defense ammo without a failure.

Have you considered reloading? It will save you a ton of money over the long run and is a wonderful way to capture a hobby for life.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Some ammo is made to higher tolerances than others regarding projectile uniformity and weight, powder charge weight, primer uniformity, brass weight and volume, etc.

Your defense ammo for instance should have a very high quality of manufacture and inspection. As bpost says, you should shoot a few boxes of it to make sure the gun feeds that ammo reliably and shoots it well.

In my view, most accuracy increases are had from tighter bullet manufacturing tolerances regarding weight and proper centering of the lead core in the jacket.

While brand X and brand Y may use different powders, which may impact accuracy slightly, 1 type of powder isn't intrinsically better than another; it depends on the caliber and firearm it is fired from.
  • Options
    alamo5000alamo5000 Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I definitely plan to reload. We have all the equipment in the other room in my house although I have never used it. I don't think its been touched in 2 years by anyone.

Before I do the reloading though, I want to learn the principles of ammunition and so on and so forth. I for one do not want to blow up my pistol, my hand, or both.

Other than that I want to learn from someone with experience (particularly with a .40 cal pistol) with the different options...IE and can tell me the differences between say 165 grain bullets vs 180 and how X amount of powder will perform vs Y amount and so on a so forth.

I figure asking an expert or two will save me a lot of hassles and leave me in a position to 'fine tune' to my personal preference once I do start loading. It sure beats starting off blindly putting together rounds.

If I can learn the principles behind the X's and the Y's that would be great. I will at least have a starting point.

Still though, my one box of self defense rounds was $35 bucks. Pretty steep. Wal Mart sells plinking shots for $15. There has to be something to it to warrant such a difference in price...
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The best place to learn what you want to know is a good reloading manual. Any manual will help but I am partial to Hornaday and Speer, for lead the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook is hard to beat.
  • Options
    idahoduckeridahoducker Member Posts: 740 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like bpost1958 I think that reading is the place to start. Any reloading manual is good but a great place to start is "The ABC's of Reloading".
    After reading up, you'll be able to come up with questions that are specific to what you want to do. That's where places like this come in handy for me.
    Trying to learn it all by asking general questions on line will take forever. The more specific your questions are the better answers you'll get.

As far as ammo prices go, another reason that self defence ammo is higher priced is because the bullet used is more expensive to manufacture. Even when reloading you'll see the difference in component cost for the same reason.
    You can consider any ammo by any of the major manufacturers to be 'good'. You just get what you pay for. I stay away from stuff that is significantly less expensive than the norm and is made somewhere and by someone I may have never heard of.
  • Options
    hrbiehrbie Member Posts: 521 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All above is great advice. Reloading is a good way to get the loads you want and somewhat of a price that you want. Read alot and learn the ways of reloading and you will be able to develop a load that fits your pistol best.

And as we can see you are not afraid to ask questions, and to me that is one of the best tools that a person has. There is alot of information out there and all someone has to do is ask.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    'GOOD' AMMO IS SOME THAT GOES "bang" EVERY TIME [:D]
    Sorry, I just couldn't resist.[;)]
  • Options
    PEZHEAD265PEZHEAD265 Member Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good ammo is what ever ammo feeds through your gun the best.Shoot what ever ammo that you want to use for self defense for practice to know how it feeds and shoots in your gun.Just because it is 50 dollers a box doesn't mean it is good for your gun.Try many different kinds of hollow points and find the one your gun likes, don't pick it out brcause of the price.
  • Options
    rotarymetertecrotarymetertec Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As stated before it needs to feed through your gun, But one thing to take into account is your target ammo and your self defense ammo. It is best they both have the same charteristics/ impact point. That way their no double guessing where to aim especial if ever in a self defense mode.
  • Options
    GONESHOOTINGGONESHOOTING Member Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcs shooters
    'GOOD' AMMO IS SOME THAT GOES "bang" EVERY TIME [:D]
    Sorry, I just couldn't resist.[;)]
    Or picking pieces of you gun out of your forehead[:D][:D]
  • Options
    lksmith03lksmith03 Member Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    on the ammo, if you use steel cases make sure you clean the chamber VERY well after you get thru, prefereably while the barrel is still hot/warm. THe lacquer on the cases will melt and deposit on teh chamber walls and when it cools will get hard and "shrink" your chamber causing jams.
    I did that with my wife's AR, I cleaned it and thought i did a good job, but after a short while it kept jamming. Looked and found a build up. After about 10minutes with a brush wrapped in fine steel wool chucked in a drill it was finally clean.

As for the reloading, get a loadbook, read it, then get your equipment.
    Lee Precision makes good low priced equipment to get into it without dropping a load of cash, since you can always upgraade if you like it, if not you aren't out much.
    you can get a Lee hand press for about $25, Dies for about $20 and a scale from MidwayUSA for about $20 so you can get tooled up to load for $65, then you can get components for bout $40 to get you started all for $105.
    Some folks bash Lee stuff but I have loaded about 5K rds of 9mm, bout 1k 45acp, and several hundred 30-30 and 30-06rds with my handpress and it is still holding up.
    You can also google info for reloading for more info.

Most of all have fun and be safe
  • Options
    mrcazmrcaz Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    good thought on the laquer stuff, a little bit of acetone will disolve it quickly, but will remove any oil/lube. reloading equipment will get expensive once you become addicted. Dillon 650 will reload almost anything, but is pricey to start and keep fed, but then I reload for everthing I own. Get good manuals and ask lots of questions, most of us old "farts" didn"t have the Inet.
  • Options
    CbtEngr01CbtEngr01 Member Posts: 4,340
    edited November -1
    "good" ammo = consistant ammo. Consistant bullet weight and powder weight are what your looking for from factory loads. You may be surprised if you pull factory bullets out of their cases and weigh the bullets/ powder. When reloading for the best you can get everything else comes in to play IE; of course weighing the powder you select to atleast the tenth (.1), primer type, weigh the bullets themselves, weigh the brass, measure the brass, bullet seat depth and Over All Length measured to the thousandth(.001).
    For all practical purposes good ammo is ammo that shoots and cycles well in your firearm. American Eagle 180 gr FMJ may shoot well, American Eagle 155 gr FMJ may not group or even cycle for you. What shoots great in the weapon with the serial number 1 before/after yours may not work so great in yours.

Good ammo and Black Hills are synonymous with each other.