In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

8mm Mauser reloading

I NEED HELP, Is it possible to deprime Romanian 8mm brass?? I purchased Lee decapping die and proceeded to break non-breakable decapping pin. Any info would be appreciated Thanks GUNPIRATE

Comments

• Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is it boxer primed or Berdan primed? Bid difference in de/re-priming method.
    The bid difference between the 2 (other than size) is that boxer has the anvil as part of the primer, while Berdan has it as part of the case. As a result, the Boxer type is easier to work with.

Look inside the case, is there 1 hole in the center (Boxer) or 2-3 holes off center (Berdan)
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    All romanian I've seen is berdan primed. Basically non-reloadable so this isn't surprising.

In fact, very little milsurp 8mm IS reloadable... some Canadian stuff is, maybe 1 or 2 others.

If looking for cheap reloading brass, 30-06 can be converted quite easily- rough trim, size, final trim and chamfer.
  • Options
    gunpirategunpirate Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jonk and Tailgunner thanks for the info. it is berdan so i'll junk it. I have a ton of 06 brass, can you expound on forming to 8mm
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    Trim 30-06 brass to roughtly 8MM Mauser length (2.260 is fine). Then run the brass into your 8MM Mauser sizing die...making sure you lubed the case first. Inside the neck too as you will have to expand it slightly from 30 cal to 8MM. Now final trim to 8MM length (2.240) and chamfer inside and outside neck...good to load. I personally like to just run an expander into 7MM Mauser to make 8MM Mauser it is a little easier...but maybe a little more expensive if you don't have 7MM Mauser brass.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It really helps to anneal the 30-06 brass before forming it to 8MM. I just anneal 30-06 brass then run it into the 8MM die. It works fine for me.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    5mm and 1958 thanks for info.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Not a problem, glad we could help.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gunpirate,

In case you didn't know the difference between Berdan and Boxer primed is two or one primer hole. In Berdan there are two holes. Hold your Rumanian cases up in the light so that you can see to the bottom of the case. A flashlight will work wonders here. You should see two smallish holes off-center in the bottom of the case. {Obviously your centered primer punch pin won't hit that}

In Boxer primed you will see one larger hole centered in the bottom of the case.

Berdan are re-loadable. Just that here in the US the market hasn't gone to making reloading components for them. It has been done in the past, but reloading components being imported is a difficult thing. Maybe that will change.

FWIW, You can buy Remington 8mm brass. And Federal makes good brass for 8mm in their loaded 'Blue box'. Maybe buy two boxes and reload with that. I personally like the Federal for reloading my 8mm's.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I think Federal brass is better than Remington too. And if you can just buy the right stuff instead of forming it that helps too.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sandwarrior and 5MM, thanks for info. formed some 06 brass yesterday to 8mm, rather time consuming!! These days have lots of time, (unemployed) little money, I'll take your advise on new brass when time comes to buy new stuff. Thanks, Gunpirate
  • Options
    grandmangrandman Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wounder if you can make berdan brass to fit boxer primers?[?]
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by grandman
    I wounder if you can make berdan brass to fit boxer primers?[?]

Yes, you can. Is it worthwhile for a readily available cartridge? Probably not.

It involves swaging in the primer pocket, using an RCBS primer pocket uniformer, then drilling a flash hole.

I just converted 100 pieces of Yugo 7.62x39 brass, just to see if I could.

All the Romanian 8mm I have had has been steel cased. It would be impossible, or at least impractical.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You know, one note of correction to what Sandwarrior said...

the difference between Berdan and Boxer isn't the NUMBER or PLACEMENT of flasholes per se- though that is usally the easiest way to identify them- but rather the construction of the primer.

Boxer primers have an anvil built into the primer cup. When the firing pin hits the primer, it crushes some of the priming compound between the primer shell and this anvil, igniting the mix. Berdan primers have the anvil built into the case with just a cup shaped primer cup fitting over that- no internal anvil in this primer. The ignition mechanism is similar, just where is the anvil located?

Now I mention this as there are different designs of Berdan primer anvils. The most common is a central anvil at the base of the case in the center of the primer pocket, flanked by 2 flash holes. However, I have seen some with a larger anvil with a hole drilled through it, much like a boxer primer; but integral to the case itself. These might fool you into thinking they are boxer primed cases if you look into them. They might even decap satisfactorilly with a regular die set. You will not however be able to use regular primers with these.

Others include offset single flasholes or 3 hole triangular arrangements.

Berdan primers occaisonally become available but require special efforts to decap and aren't really worth it. Modifying the case to take a boxer primer is tricky; berdans are SLIGHTLY larger in diameter than boxers and you have to move some metal to make the pocket fit, and remove the central post. This usually smears metal over the offset small flash holes, so drilling a new hole is required too.

Again, FAR more effort than it is worth, other than a lark just 'because.'
  • Options
    CHEVELLE427CHEVELLE427 Member Posts: 6,750
    edited November -1
    3006 case can be used for a lot of different calibers according to some rcbs info.

have not annealed any (yet) but so far so good on my 8mm, even found some 243 cases that is stamped 3006
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Where can I get a tool to remove the berden primers? I have seen one somewhere long ago but can not remember where. This may be a good tool to have in case of emergency and have to reload some old brass. Punching the hole in the case will not be a problem, a good drill press or hand drill and your set.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I think the primers are not the same size either, so I don't know if just trying to drill a hole in the middle really solves the problem.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well RCBS makes what they call the lachmiller depriming tool. You'll find hydraulic decappers on fleabay from time to time. But again, primers are a different size so converting to boxer while possible is very tricky and involves massive case head swaging and isn't a sure thing even then. Just not worth it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Don`t sound like it is worth it. You can buy brass at a fair price anyway.