In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need some solid advice...............

Have been reading and learning as much as I can since Ive been here, Loaded with my father in Law and Brother in law and have seen how different people approach different things.

I think Im ready to start loading my self.....My dilemma comes on Which starter kit to buy, Im partial to the rockchucker supreme kit (not master kit) because of the name I guess. RCBS cant go wrong. my brother in law uses this press and it seems really stout.

But there is not much that comes in the kit...........I am really interested in buying the Lyman t-mag kit because of the fact U get a digital scale and case trimmer in the kit, but how does the press compare to the Rockchucker. Is it equally as good,better,junk,[?] Has anybody had any problems with Lyman reloading equipment. Any Insight would Be appreciated. Have saved roughly 350 and want to get the most for my money but am not in a position to spend the 699 on the Rockchucker supreme master deluxe kit which would Ideally be the kit I want.

Lyman vs Rockchucker what would you guys do if just starting out[?]

Heres a pic of the Lyman kit Im lookin at......
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0037524216108a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntk=P

Here's a link of the Rockchucker supreme kit
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0018937214924a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntt=Rockchucker+supreme&Ntk=Product_liberal&sort=all&Go.y=7&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form1&Go.x=15

Comments

• Options
    remington nutremington nut Member Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    CbtEngr01CbtEngr01 Member Posts: 4,340
    edited November -1
    RCBS all the way
  • Options
    laylandadlaylandad Member Posts: 961 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I have go against the others and say for the extras, go with the Lyman. There is nothing wrong with a turret press. I've been using a Lyman All American for about 35yrs. now.
    The sale price with the scale and trimmer just sweetens the deal [;)]
  • Options
    grandmangrandman Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would get the RCBS to start out and if you wanted to go to a turpet press get the lyman or a Honaday. I have and still use the RCBS and love it. I got the same package about 29 yrs ago, was not that expensive.LOL[8D]
  • Options
    oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you go with the Lyman you will be very happy with it ! You get more for your money ! All you need to add is a trickler , a dial caliper , and a priming tool and you are good to go . You can also buy a power drill adapter for the case trimmer for under $30 . Lyman has been in the business longer than anyone !
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have loaded many hundreds of thousands of rounds on RCBS, HERTERS and Lyman presses. The deal on the LYMAN set up is really hard to beat. The Lyman press is very stout and well designed. The digital scale and other goodies make it a great investment.

As time goes by you will find a good used Rock Chucker at a garage sale for twenty five bucks. The Lyman can be used then for pistol only.

My .02
  • Options
    375H&H375H&H Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another vote for the RCBS Rock Chucker

Those digital scales can sometimes be more trouble then their worth , and if you watch the auction side , or look around at yard sales and flee markets , you can pick up other equipment like a case trimer or what ever.

Also , if you do get a case trimer , don't forget to pick up a deburring tool and calipers.

What calibers are you gonna reload for ?
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Sometimes you just want something 'just because.'

If that's the main reason, I'd save and get what I was happy with.

Either that or use a little of your $$ to buy a Lee kit, and keep saving until you have enough for what you want. Then you'll have the Lee for smaller secondary tasks- it is good to have a secondary press for bullet sizing, crimping, etc.

Now that said, Lyman makes good stuff. No problems there.
  • Options
    IdahoRedneckIdahoRedneck Member Posts: 2,699
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 375H&H
    Another vote for the RCBS Rock Chucker

Those digital scales can sometimes be more trouble then their worth , and if you watch the auction side , or look around at yard sales and flee markets , you can pick up other equipment like a case trimer or what ever.

Also , if you do get a case trimer , don't forget to pick up a deburring tool and calipers.

What calibers are you gonna reload for ?

Mostly 270, 300 ultra, 45 colt and 44 mag,45-70 but have more that if and when needed will get loaded, but for the most part these are the calibers.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can always mix and match so that you can get the specific features you want and not buy the stuff you don't need. I have a mix of manufacturers equipment (RCBS, Hornady, Midway, Lee, Lyman, Cabelas branded, etc) and some of the stuff I have is recycled (given by or bought cheap from other reloaders who were upgrading).

I guess I'm saying no one's starter kit is perfect and sometimes the savings isn't really there.

Check some of the other sites like Natchezss, MidwayUSA, etc so if the components you want are there and price compare.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lyman now allows you to "pick the press" with their kits, as mentioned. They just announced that option at the SHOT Show in January. Their gear might not get the same mention as RCBS, but it is just as good, and will last just as many decades of hard use.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    IR
    My only advise is to avoid the yuppy stores (Cabalas, Bass Pro, Gander Mountain, etc) and shop places like Midway, Graffs, etc.
  • Options
    dthhaldthhal Member Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I went with the RCBS Deluxe Supreme kit. I love the powder dispenser. Also, with the RockChucker Supreme you can upgrade it with a piggyback system that will make it a progressive. I load both rifle and pistol so this was a perfect option for me. I can load the rifle single stage, and pistol progressively. Love it.
  • Options
    IdahoRedneckIdahoRedneck Member Posts: 2,699
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys, I went with the T-mag kit. Either way I looked at It I think I got the most I could for my money, Now Ill just Keep my eyes open for a good used Rockchucker for my Rifle loads and then have this one for pistols[:)] Not quite there yet though, Calipers, components, trickler, ect ect. But the big part of the investment I guess is over with. Now Ill just nickle and dime myself to death[:D]

Thanks again for the opinions[^]