In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Powder Deteriated?

Wolf172Wolf172 Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
Need some advice on some older powder I have on hand. I reloaded a little bit several years ago and am going to start getting back into it. I have a couple of 1LB cans of powder (IMR4198 and IMR3031) that have some red dust on some of the kernels. When I pour it out in my hand and back in the can it leaves a red dust on my hand. It doesn't smell acrid, in fact there is no smell at all which seems strange. Seems I read at one time that the rust colored dust is a sign of deterioration. Was wanting to know what you guys know about it. If its any help the price tags on the cans are $12.95 which may tell roughly how old it is. It has been kept inside the house all this time and was also wondering if it may be unstable. I also have other powders that are somewhat "newer" that still have the solvent smell and don't seem to have any of the rusty looking kernels. I am going to work up a hunting load for my 30.06 using some IMR4895 and some reloader 19 that I have on hand that still seems to be in good condition. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated also. Thanks for any information and I am sure I will have more questions in the future. Have been lurking for quite a while on the boards and enjoy reading and learning.

Comments

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have noticed rust in the can with powder and used it with zero issues or problems. If I had to do it over, I would throw it away, better safe than sorry.
  • XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just sprinkle it around on your lawn...problem solved. It will make the grass nice and green with a little watering and time.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Don't take a chance with it. Use it for fertaliser.
  • grandmangrandman Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don`t use it, I don`t use power that I think or has any unusal smell or looks. Like someone said better be safe than sorry. You might have the shot of a life time and things go caput.[:0]
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,131 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is indeed beginning to deteriorate. Red dust and a lack of an "ether" smell are the two warning flags.

The danger is that the process accelerates and creates heat. It can even self-ignite. You caught it early, which is most fortuitous.

The good news is that Spring is an excellent time to fertilize!

Lastly, it is only single-base powders that seem to do this. Double-base very rarely deteriorate, and spherical powders never do. It has to do with the residual acids and solvents in single-base powders.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I'd pour it in a pile away from the house and drop a match. Always fun to watch. [:D]
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dump your rusty powder. I just had to throw out some IMR4320 that was in that condition. I usually save the metal cans and pour the newer powder from the newer plastic "pots" into the old can and put a new date on it (the cans take up less shelf space). But, in this case, the inside of the can was rusty so I tossed that, too.

As to the second part of your question: I use IMR4895 in .30/06 loads in my M1's with 150 and 168gr bullets since that was the origional use for that powder. I haven't done much experimenting with Reloader 19. In bolt guns, I use IMR4064 with 150 gr, IMR4350 with 165 gr, and IMR4831 with 180 gr.
  • Wolf172Wolf172 Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks to all for the input. Had the feeling I needed to get rid of it but wanted to see what you guys thought. Will probably string it out in a line and light it up. Not as fun as making it go bang but what the heck. Thanks again for the input.
  • Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When looking for accuracy loads using old powder can also give you erratic info! I've seen old powders lose their smell, but not smell like vinegar and change color little bit and be trying to work up a load, then get a new batch of same powder and completely different results in velocity and groups!
    I've found from experience to use old powder as firecracker powder (to make noise) or fertilizer!
  • grandmangrandman Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have thought about vacumun sealing my power if I am not going to use it anytime soon, which is not a big problem now. Use a seal-a-meal, that way there is no heat involved and the air is sealed out of the package thus keeping the power fresh. You can seal the hole one lb. can. Any suggestions?
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Works good in ant colonies also.