In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

primer in 9mm has gouge out of it at higher charge

45Kimber45Kimber Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
I have started reloading for 9mm. Loading 124 XTP bullets with 231. At 4.6 grains the primer looks normal. At 4.8 there is a gouge out of the primer where the firing pin struck it looking like the round was ejected before the pin was retracted. At 5.0 grains the gouge is more evident. Is this a typical sign of high preasure?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Winchester load data says 4.8grs of 231 is a MAX load [B)]
    BACK OFF [:0]

IF YOUR 4.6GR LOAD SHOOTS GOOD IN YOUR GUNS STICK TO IT [;)]
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    quote:looking like the round was ejecting before the pin was retracting Could very well be a sign of high pressure . some makes of pistols this is very common and SOP with that brand but with others it is a time to back off on your powder charge. As a side note if you were to test the GROUP size in a RANSOM REST most likely the hot load would have a MUCH BIGGER group size . I would rather have a load that shoots small groups then some +P+ load that zips beside what I am aiming at. YMMV
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, "firing pin drag" is a sign of OVER-pressure.

Go back to 4.6, which is maximum for that gun and those components. Or even a bit less, since it IS maximum.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Both my pistols are Taurus 24/7. Out of curiosity, is Taurus one of the manufacurers that the gouged primer is SOP? Today I am loding some 4.6 grain loads and shooting them over my chrony to see what I am getting for velosity (presure).
  • Options
    edited November -1
    All guns are unique. One of your guns might be maxxed at 4.6 and the other might eat 4.8 like popcorn. But pin drag that develops with a heavier charge is almost always a sign that you've gone too far in that gun. (One that drags all the time is due to other causes.)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This is great info. I can not believe that there are not more posts on this website. I also post on ReefCentral which is a site about marine aquariums. There often are 1000 people viewing it at a single time. Surely more people reload than have salt water tanks. I am curius why there are not 1000s viewing this site.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    EDIT; Please see posting guidelines, thank you.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    So I shot the 4.6 loads of 231 and was getting 1115 fps. Win shows 1088 for max. I droped down .1 grains till I got 1057 from the gun I was shooting with 4.3 grains. Winchester's load data was correct. I shot 2 rounds with 2 fps deviation. I then shot the same load in my other 24/7 and got 1078 and 1079 fps. I will load this gun at 4.3 grains having noticed a 25 fps change per .1 grain. My chrony came in very handy for this load work up. Thanks for the suggestions gentlemen.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Chronys are allways a very good idea to use when working up loads.
    As you just found out. Very good investments.