In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Newbie Reloader

elec1675elec1675 Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
I am a shooter and sportsman who has had older friends reload ammo for me over the years (250-3000 and 300 Savage, 308, 45-70, etc.). These gentlemen have been retiring to Florida or dying lately, and I now would like to get into reloading myself. Most of their equipment has been grabbed by the kids (dicks) or sold on ebay by greedy relatives.

What is a good, cheap, entry-level reloader setup? I don't shoot hundreds of rounds a week, but I would like some expandability.

Help.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I have started reloading 308's for my SOCOM16 using Hornady 150 gr fmj/bt and Varget powder. I have been varing the powder half a grain, this time 45.5, 46 and 46.5 grains, last time 44.5, 45, and 45.5. Is this about the correct amount to vary. My book calls for 43 to 47 grains.

My first pound of powder is about gone, and I am wondering if a faster burning powder would work better in the 16" barrel.

Any suggestions welcome![8D]
  • Options
    excavmanexcavman Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I started 44 years ago with a Lyman 310 tool. Four years ago I started my grandson out with a Lee hand press. Add a powder scale, dies for each caliber, a hand priming tool, and a few other small items and you are set to go. Slow, but it gets the job done and you can pack it all in a box out of sight until next time. Down the line you can build a heavy duty loading bench bolted to the floor in its own special room and add all the pricey bells and whistles as you go. Have fun.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Go to www.midwayusa.com and look at the kits they have on sale.
  • Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    Like they said in "Grand Torino" you aquire these tools over a lifetime.

Lee H press kits are a good start and you will always find a use for a single stage press. Next recommendation is to move to a Turret press so you don't have to change dies all the time, then if really shooting a lot to a Dillon or other progressive press.

Lately I have had great success with the Lee dies (always used RCBS and Lyman in the past) and they come with the shell holder and final crimp die. Good scale, dropper, primer pocket cleaner, brass trimmer, lube, vernier, and a "good reloading manual".

Welcome to a great hobby, don't get frustrated at first, a lot of experience is available through forums like this.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,209 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good on ya!

First, read my little column called Reloading 101. (Use Firefox, as IE may scramble it.) http://www.reloadingroom.com/index_files/Reloading%20101.htm

If you have any questions after that, feel free to ask them any time.

The Lee Anniversary kit is a bargain and contains almost everything you need to start reloading (except cartridge-specific things like dies and components).
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    45Kimber45Kimber Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I still use a single stage press and I load a lot for praire dogs. My strongest reccommendation is do everything slow, think everything through twice and double check everything like your data, scale setting ect. I have seen some kits on ebay.
  • Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    Great article Rocky!!

Wish I had read that 40+ years ago.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,209 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks. I'm contemplating turning it into a full-length book.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys. I have a chance to pick up a Lee Challenger press for a good price, so I'll take Geeguy's advice and pick up my tools over time. I'm sure this forum will come in handy in the next few months.
  • Options
    partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    Lee makes good stuff at a low price. I have been using my RCBS Rock Chucker press and dies since 1974. RCBS has a lifetime warranty.

Welcome to GB!!!!!!!!!![:)]
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by elec1675
    Thanks guys. I have a chance to pick up a Lee Challenger press for a good price, so I'll take Geeguy's advice and pick up my tools over time. I'm sure this forum will come in handy in the next few months.

Do yourself a favor and either stay away from the Lee Challenger......or buy an extra set (or two) of linkage. They will crack from the stress and it really puts a crimp in your reloading if you have to wait for a new set. Mine has broken twice in four years.

BTW, I am picking up a new Rockchucker next week.
  • Options
    OleDukOleDuk Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not really up to date on the newer equipment that is available these days, but I've been using a RCBS O-type tool since about 1960 or so and it never fails. I've broken one or two depriming pins in that time but that's the only failures I can remember.
    But too, I've never shot rifles to the extent you fellers have.
    Anyway, a tool like that is simple and reliable and will last a lifetime. Shotguns are another story.

Regardless, welcome to the "Brotherhood of the Dented Primer".

(I just made that up---Cheers?)

OleDuk[:D][:D]
  • Options
    grandmangrandman Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    RCBS has a good starter kit for a couple of hundred bucks and has all of the goodies you need to get started and have some fun. Everyone that shoots needs to reload you never know when uncle will make things harder for us.
  • Options
    goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    I started with the Lee Classic 4-hole turret press. It is by no means a Dillon but it gets the job done a little faster than a single stage.
  • Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Feenix,
    Cool loading table, portable and very versital. I might have to build me one in the near future, you never know when you might have to load on the range or on the move from one shoot competition to the next I am going to print this picture and work from it. Heck Iam excited and it ain`t even my table. I just built me a shooting bench and this will go perfect with it. [:D]
  • Options
    CbtEngr01CbtEngr01 Member Posts: 4,340
    edited November -1
    Diddo on dcs shooters post. Midwayusa is a great source. As far as cheap, good luck on that. Though you'd be surprised how much you can pick up in a pawn shop. I wouldn't personally reccomend used dies, but brand new dies are useless without a press. I'm partial to RCBS.
  • Options
    dthhaldthhal Member Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by grandman
    RCBS has a good starter kit for a couple of hundred bucks and has all of the goodies you need to get started and have some fun. Everyone that shoots needs to reload you never know when uncle will make things harder for us.

+1 on this. You cant go wrong with RCBS. The advice on Midway is good, but keep an eye out for Cabelas sales. I just picked up the RCBS Supreme Deluxe kit from there. I love it. Especially the powder measure. A basic kit will run you a little over $200. Then you'll need to get your dies, shell holders, and components. Go with the RCBS, you wont regret it and they have an excellent product guarantee.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You may also want to check out Natchezss. They often have very good prices on reloading equipment.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Good idea on calling the company for seconds or show models. I will do that myself in the future for another press. Good idea.[:)]