In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.257 Roberts +P brass?

laylandadlaylandad Member Posts: 961 ✭✭
I recently purchased a Remington 700 limited in .257 Roberts. My question is the three reloading manuals that I have all list +P loads listed. Is it safe to load non +P brass with these +P loads?

Comments

• Options
    mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Standard brass is fine - I don't believe you will find Roberts brass marked +P. Don't get caught up with the heavy handed +P loads. You're in the area of diminishing returns. Take it easy on your rifle, your brass, and your nerves. If you need a 25-06 or .257 Weatherby mag buy one. Stay within SAMMI specs and stay happy. BE SAFE!
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    "I don't believe you will find Roberts brass marked +P."..........you can buy it either way (+p or not), I wouldn't put +p loads in standard brass as some one some where MIGHT put it in an older rifle.
  • Options
    skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've reloaded a fair amount of 257 Rob. It was for a Rem 722. Always used mid to high loads. I don't think the brass will matter as long as you work up carefully. I've never seen +P brass. Someone will chime in to make sure I have this right but a standard 257 Roberts pressure limit is 45,000 CUP and +P is only 50,000 I believe. Still rather low by modern standards.

I would load them up, as always work up and use caution. I've never had a problem with any +p loads in a 257 Roberts though. Some of the more knowledgeable reloaders on hear have experience with the 'Bob. I'm sure they will chime in later. Congratulations on the fine caliber, one of my favorites.
  • Options
    richardaricharda Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The low maximum pressure level prescribed for the .257 Roberts NEVER made any sense. The earliest commercial rifles made for this cartridge were the Remington Model 30 (using 1917 Enfield receivers) and the Winchester Model 54 (precursor of the Model 70). Both of these models are quite strong - they were made at the same time in .270 Winchester (factory loaded to over 50,000 CUP) as was the later Remington 760 pump gun.

If there are any "weaker" rifles in this cartridge, thay are home-made on Spanish Mauser actions and the like; perhaps not ideal, but hardly hand-grenades-in-waiting.

The cases are the same, regardless of markings.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I read an article somewhere that stated the +P brass was heavier than the standard brass. I've been using all Rem brass for the .257 so I haven't checked any other brands. Really no reason to hotrod the Roberts. If you want more, get a 25/06 or 257 Wby.
  • Options
    laylandadlaylandad Member Posts: 961 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all your input. I have Remington and Winchester brass. The Remington does not say +P but the Winchester does. All three of my load manuals have +P loads only. I was just wanting to know if it is safe to use the data published with the Remington brass.
  • Options
    FWAdditFWAddit Member Posts: 918 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I weighed regular and +P cases and found no significant difference within the same brand. Brand-to-brand variation was greater.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    laylandad,

Winchester still makes a run of +P brass every so often:

257robertspbrass.jpg

http://www.brassworldeshop.com/new257robertswinchesterp50ctbags.aspx

Midway shows it in stock also.

Best.