In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

California Law & Cost Questions

floorguy24floorguy24 Member Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
Two Questions-

1) I've heard that in February 2011 there will be no more "online" pistol ammo available for sale here in California. Is this also true for the individual primers, casings/brass, bullets and gunpowder for reloaders?

2) I'm looking into future reloading myself for 9mm pistol loads and trying to come up with a "per cartridge" cost after purchasing primers, casings/brass, bullets and gunpowder. Does anyone who currently reloads their own 9mm cartridges have any kind of "per cartridge" cost they're currently using? This does not include the reloading tools/dies cost.

Any input would be helpful!

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's a link to a handloading cost calculator.

http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Bubba, that does help. Any additional input is good too.

As for the California Law change coming up, has anyone heard about this? It'll have a drastic effect if it's true.
  • Options
    carbine100carbine100 Member Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    New Cali law will not (at this time) bar mail/online reloading components.

I went to Wideners online and priced an order for 8 lb pistol powder, 500 primers, 3000 hard cast lead bullets, and 1000 9mm once fired brass. Added shipping & hazmat charges (fudged high on costs) and plugged them into Bubba Jr's link calculator;

Cost/50 $6.35

Cost/1000 $127
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Carbine100, very helpful also. Those numbers seem much closer to what I was hoping. I'll try to find Wideners online.

Now, I'm trying to find the best tool/kit/die set for reloading the 9mm pistol loads only. I'm not wanting cheap, or expensive though. Just something in the middle, I'm hoping to find a quality product for a reasonable price. I know you get what you pay for and I need reloading equipment for the long haul.

Any ideas?

Thank Again!
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am reloading cast bullets for .08 cents per round and FMJ rounds for just over .12 cents a round. Now if you want good hollow points that will be a little more. This doesn't include the sales tax that I pay on primers, powder, ect. I use a cheap powder 700x, which runs about $12 a pound from a local store here.

I load on a sinlge stage press, and in reality it just sucks for 9mm. You have a lot of stroke to get down to the small case. Since there isn't much need to trim the brass, it all has to go through 3 times, in short it takes a while. I wouldn't normally recommend a progressive for a starter, but if all your setting up is 9mm then that may be a better way for you to go.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I too am reluctant to recommend a progressive reloader to a beginner, but if one pistol caliber is all you need and you will be reloading a lot, (>3000rounds/yr) then the most economical setup I would suggest is the Lee progressive 1000 kit.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=428284

If you will be loading less than this, then a single stage press is your best bet to learn the hobby as one should. The Lee anniversary Kit is a good economical choice.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=423081

That said if you want to step up in quality, I would go with Hornady or RCBS equipment. Either of these kits will last you a lifetime;
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=749997

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=646599

This is not the only place to by them and they can often be found on the auction side, it was just a time saver to get all links from one spot.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you have a nose for free stuff getting into casting bullets makes them real cheap. You can get a mold for 25 bucks, scrounge some wheel weights and make your own. When you get components for BULK reloading look at Pats reloading for bulk powder, brass and bullets. Powder Valley also has good prices on primers.

Midway USA had the RCBS reloading set on sale for a deal.

I shoot about 10,000 rounds of pistol a year none of it factory. It is cheap in my way of thinking.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Perfect!

The response/s you guys gave is just what I was looking for. In fact, the Lee Progressive 1000 was where I thought I was going, but the others are worth consideration as well. I'm interested in reloading 1000's and 1000's and 1000's in the long haul. I'll probably wear out my 9mm Beretta...

Now, I just hope I will be able to get all of the primers/brass/powder/bullets online here in California for years to come. We'll have to wait and see on that.

Thanks Again. [:D]
  • Options
    zacklazackla Member Posts: 194 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am here in ca. and wish we could take all the govement out back and ????? you get the ideal i hope there are a bunch of stupid people running this state
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The law that goes into effect next Feb only applies to "handgun" ammo and not reloading components. The bill originally included components, but they were later dropped.

If you have a federal 03 C&R license and a state COE (Certificate of Eligibility) you will be exempt from the law.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I don't know what is involved in getting the state COE, but a C&R license will get you a dealer discount at Midway & Brownells that will pay for the license fee in short order, plus the benefit of buying C&R guns directly! C&R process is simple and cheap.